Recording from Samsung smart TV

john bunyan 00:14 08 Jul 2019

I have just bought a Samsung QLED 2019 TV. Q60 43 R. There is an e manual of over 120 pages. So far I have got it going for TV using Freeview. Also can use screen mirroring for my and my wife’s iPhones. It mentions recording to a USB device, maybe in lieu of a recorder, but I assume that if I schedule a recording to a USB HD , I could not watch another programme at the same time? Many other mysteries to exploit such as Bixby , whatever that is. Last TV was a LG with 3D possibilities but never used! Hope this is not another white elephant- where is 4g on Freeview, for example!!

Menzie 02:35 08 Jul 2019

Congrats on the new TV. Hopefully you have some UHD Blu Rays and a Netflix subscription to watch some lovely 4K content with the HDR on.

HDR from what I've seen gives quite a bump in the image quality, I've only seen it in action via a Blu Ray, not sure how well it Performs for a Netflix stream.

I haven't made the 4K plunge yet, my TV is still a 1080p model although everything connected to it 4K capable.

john bunyan 07:17 08 Jul 2019

I thought I may as well try to keep up to date. However in U K, I looked In ASDA at Blue Ray DVD’s - a sparse selection and none to my taste. I don’t subscribe to Netflix, again because few films interest me. The Blue Ray player was bought for 3 D find -,never used as, again, few on offer. Maybe Freeview will show 4K one day, but I have a feeling that I have gone to unnecessary lengths!

Menzie 12:48 08 Jul 2019

Future proofing is always good, unfortunately many a store has stopped stocking a wide selection of Blu Rays and players since the consoles of today can play back media. For watching Blu Rays I use my Xbox One S which is also compatible with 4K UHDs.

I had a 3D monitor on my PC before it died. Sadly only a few games supported a 3D Mode. It wasn't all bad however I found a fantastic documentary on underwater wildlife and it is amazing how the fishes appeared to come out of the display and right to your face.

It's a shame that I can no longer view it that way.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Is it safe to use NordVPN?

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)