Recommendations for a wildlife camera

john bunyan 17:05 03 Jan 2018
Answered

My wife ad I are thinking of buying one of those cameras that you see used on TV wildlife programmes that you strap to a tree or whatever . They are waterproof and have motion detectors,and maybe flash? , with SD cards and option for video or still. Initially I looked on Google / Amazon. They seem not too expensive at under £200? Has anyone a specific make or model to recommend? Trying to film badgers ,foxes or hedgehogs in our garden.

john bunyan 20:10 03 Jan 2018

This is the type of thing

Amazon camera

Forum Editor 08:34 04 Jan 2018

My son has one of these

he lives in the country, has a very large garden on the edge of a wood, and is visited by lots of wildlife at night. He seems very happy with it, and the results I've seen have been excellent.

john bunyan 10:11 04 Jan 2018
Answer

F.E.

Thanks , just the input I wanted.

Forum Editor 10:35 04 Jan 2018

Good luck - enthused by my son's experience I'm thinking of getting one of these myself. My sons says an important aspect of this camera (for him) is that it emits no glow at night, whereas lots of other cameras do. the glow comes from the Infra-red emitter, and it can be seen if you look straight at the camera. It can deter some wildlife, but some people say you get get better images with low-glow cameras.

My son says you would have to be very picky to notice that much difference, but I thought I would mention it.

Guest 1234512555 12:41 06 Jan 2018

Nikon D500Best Wildlife Photography Cameras - Nikon D500 A very popular choice amongst wildlife photographers recently, the Nikon D500 exploded on to the scene boasting huge capabilities for a crop sensor camera. With the same autofocus system as Nikon’s flagship DSLR, the D500 is the best choice for photography birds in flight and other fast-moving wildlife. It has a 21 megapixel sensor, with great ISO capabilities and offers you that extra reach signatory of a crop sensor camera.

Canon 7D Mark II A fantastic crop sensor option for Canon users, the 7d Mark II offers 10 frames per second shooting speed with a 20 megapixel sensor. With a high number of AF focus points, this is a great camera for staying on target and focused.

Canon 5D Mark IV But, actually, a much better choice is the Canon 5D Mark IV if you can stretch your budget (massively). It’s got a 30 megapixel sensor and shoots 7 frames per second. This is the camera I shoot with now, and it’s very popular amongst wildlife photographers. The increased resolution gives you more flexibility, and the camera handles really well.

Nikon D5 If money isn’t an issue, then the D5 is definitely the best choice you can make from the Nikon brand. The D5 is the flagship DSLR camera they offer: with a 20 megapixel full-frame sensor and shooting speed of 12 frames per second, you can’t go wrong here. The camera has incredible ISO capabilities, meaning you can shoot fantastic images in very low light. You can even record 4K video at 30fps! It’s the dream for wildlife photographers.

john bunyan 12:52 06 Jan 2018

Thanks, but I was looking for a “Trail” waterproof camera, the sort you strap to a tree and leave . I did not want a professional SLR

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?