Quality budget smartphone under £200 needed

Ryan Hamilton 19:29 11 Nov 2019

Good evening everyone! I’m looking for some advice. I’m looking at getting a smartphone for my mum as she is currently using a flip phone! She isn’t looking to play PUBG etc all she needs is YouTube, WhatsApp, Netflix, Spotify and a good enough camera (I’m not expecting impeccable, just good enough!)

We have a budget of £200 as it’s pointless spending loads, she will be using it mainly on WiFi and just making the odd call away from home hence nothing major. Would like a 3.5mm jack as she likes to listen to music on holiday.

I’ve seen a few of the cubot devices that seem good value (x19, power, x20 pro) a few Xiaomi ones as well (note 7, note 8 pro) and some of the Motorola ones, But I’m getting a bit lost. What is the best bang for buck under £200? I’m open to any suggestions, and from most places (never tried gearbest but some good value items it seems).

Thanks all for any help! Ryan

wee eddie 23:21 11 Nov 2019

Ryan, does your Mum really want these things (Netflix etc) or, do you think that she should want them.

If all she really wants is a phone that can text, then her flip phone will be adequate and you can give her a case of Gin. Much more useful

Ryan Hamilton 07:38 12 Nov 2019

Hahaha! Thanks for that! She does want these, she has an iPad at the minute, but it is about 8 years old and very slow, also unpractical to take on holiday for music. I may just buy the gin for myself.

john bunyan 08:17 12 Nov 2019

You can get a variety of refurbished good smartphones, such as a iPhone 6s and the equivalent android for under £200. To avoid issues I would avoid eBay and Gumtree and look at Game and Amazon or GiffGaff who mostly offer a 1 year guarantee

Ryan Hamilton 12:41 12 Nov 2019

Unfortunately I tried the refurb route with an iPhone 7 for my MIL and when she used it the battery was awful, would drop from 60% to 1% etc hence me wanting a cheap new phone to avoid any issues.

john bunyan 13:24 12 Nov 2019

Ok but you can get a new battery for around £30 and the outlets I mentioned give a 1 year guarantee. Your choice, obviously.

AroundAgain 13:20 22 Nov 2019

I have the Huawei PSmart 2019 which cost just under £200 and it's been great. I don't like paying for 'the name' so went for this one.

I'm assuming you are looking for Sim-free phone rather than contract? Sim-free works out cheaper, assuming you have a decent deal for your sim, overall. Check the prices of these phones, for instance, or Google search

- -

chub_tor 16:26 22 Nov 2019

Look at the specs for the Samsung Galaxy A 10, on sale for £120 on Amazon. Bought mine about 4 months ago, very long battery life.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !