Purchasing a Chinese mobile phone query

fabfivefreddy 18:38 05 Jun 2019

Help please!

I'm looking at a couple of Chinese phones - Oneplus 6T and the Xiaomi Mi 9. I'm happy to buy online from non high street companies but unsure what does and doesn't work in the UK. I've spoken to a seller about a Oneplus phone and he has told me the following: it is the Chinese version but has global ROM. It has google play pre-installed and the Oxygen OS. I've tried to google all the above and establish whether this is good for the UK but I end up running round in circles and unsure if I should buy this or not. Some advice would be great? I appreciate that if I purchase this the customer support would probably not be there. More interested in whether this is usable out of the box and any pitfalls I would have moving forward. Thanks in advance

rickf 09:20 07 Jun 2019

Search reviews of OnePlus on this site. Reviews have always said it's an excellent brand.

Menzie 12:51 07 Jun 2019

What won't work in the UK depending on where you buy is the warranty. If you get a grey market import directly from overseas or even within the UK from a reseller you may have a hard time in the case of any hardware failures or certain forms of support from the local customer service team.

This can also happen if you buy from a seller who isn't authorised to sell these products.

You can get a fantastic deal otherwise but that is something to consider.

Mitchie23 13:13 13 Jun 2019

Yes, I totally agree with Menzie. While it's cheaper than those found in legit stores, you will find it expensive once problems prevail. Usually those gadgets which are sold cheaper found to have factory defects.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sega Mega Drive Mini review: Hands-on

Project Gemini is now Adobe Fresco: Hands-on and release date

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros