The O2 network is partly down

john bunyan 10:53 06 Dec 2018
Answered

O2 and Giff Gaff have difficulties . Phone seems ok; texts problematic, no data except near WiFi. I believe they are working on it

martd7 11:56 06 Dec 2018

JB Just seen that on News about 02 but I seem unaffected,must only be certain parts of the network

Forum Editor 17:13 06 Dec 2018

This from O2

"One of our 3rd party suppliers has identified a software issue in their system. Our technical teams are working extremely hard to resolve this. We'd encourage you to use Wi-Fi wherever you can and we are really sorry."

A total of 32 million customers are thought to have been affected with phones simply failing to show any data connection.

martd7 18:01 06 Dec 2018

My 02 data has turned off now it was ok until about 2pm

Quickbeam 18:05 06 Dec 2018

Also Japanese customers are affected. It's a very expensive outage for the users with O2 quoting that the small print says that they cannot guaranteed the service, presumably to avoid compensation claims.

I think that this may not wash as it might with a private user for all those that effectively have had to stop trading while it's out.

Said to be a software upgrade problem it's as bad as the TSB software undate that went wrong!

Forum Editor 18:12 06 Dec 2018

Ericsson makes network equipment that's used by O2, and the problem seems to be with related software.

The outage is huge, and it's affecting customers in other countries as well as the UK. It's also having knock-on effects for other services that use the O2 network, including Transport for London's electronic timetable service at bus stops, which has stopped working.

Many other businesses and public services are affected - there will be lots of compensation claims from them. It all goes to show how we have become highly dependent on these networks.

Quickbeam 18:32 06 Dec 2018

Don't these giant tech firms trial run software changes before putting them out as a general update?

It's not like they're cash strapped, but the risk of losing custom when it goes hugely wrong is the greater loss.

Forum Editor 19:01 06 Dec 2018

"Don't these giant tech firms trial run software changes before putting them out as a general update?"

You would hope so,wouldn't you? I don't yet know what this particular problem is related to, so it's difficult to be too critical at this stage.

bumpkin 20:31 06 Dec 2018

Only just changed my back up phone to O2 yesterday, not a great start:-0

martd7 11:00 07 Dec 2018
Answer

Working today as 02 said it would be

LHR_8UK 13:00 07 Dec 2018

Sending texts have just come back on Tesco Mobile. Seems the service was coming back slowly to limit failure on the network. Or so said Tesco Mobile helpline at 0905 today

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch