Looking for good digital camcorder - ideas please

webber_man 22:09 09 Apr 2006

Hi,

I am looking to get a decent digital camcorder. I know very little about camcorders but have a bit of an idea of what i want.

Basically, am looking for a camcorder that i can download the videos/still images direct to PC. Obviously was the best quality possible for the money (about £250-£300). Decent zoom, resolution etc. I don't know what types of media certain camcorders use but SD or something similar would be cool.

If they only all still use DV media how would i convert that to say .avi or .mpeg to burn to DVD? Is this all done by the software?

Apologise for my ignorance!! Cheers.

etorres 16:47 11 Apr 2006

I went with the panasonic mini dv, because it was inexpensive, has great opitcal zoom, still photo, sd card, color lcd viewfinder monitor, it comes with a good software program but it is confusing. Windows Movie Maker is great and for free......... I like the firewire capability because thats pure fast clean uploading....

MAGIC180 17:35 13 Apr 2006

I STARTED CONVERTING VIDEO TO DVD WITH VIDEO`S OF TEN YEARS AGO ALL MORE. USING AN OLD ANALOGUE VIDEO CAMERA.AND VHS TAPES WITH GREAT SUCCESS.
THE OTHER DAY I WAS LOOKING FOR DVD OR HARD DRIVE CAMCORDERS IN WHICH ARE HALF THE SIZE OF AN ANALOGUE. TO MY AMAZEMENT I FOUND CAMCORDERS £100 CHEAPER ON EBUYER THAN ARGOS. I HAVE SHOPPED WITH EBUYER ON MANY OCCASIONS AND NEVER LET ME DOWN. ALSO YOU NEED SOFTWARE TO CHANGE DVD FORMAT TO DIVX OR AVI TO DO YOUR EDITING. I USE INTERVIEDO DVD 2 AND ROXIO 7.5. I UNDERSTAND THAT ROXIO 8 IS GOOD TOO.

De Marcus™ 21:41 13 Apr 2006

Cheap n Cheerful click here

Well within your budget click here

Toward the top end of your budget click here

Just some to look at and of course a bump!

Stuartli 20:30 15 Apr 2006

Four Samsung models at £152 or less at:

click here

Top priced three models are miniDV type.

webber_man 22:54 15 Apr 2006

Thanks all.

Went for the VC GR-D247 Mini DV from Ebuyer in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?