Loft conversion - WiFi access points on Virgin

Alex Ricketts 22:01 03 Apr 2019

I am having a loft conversion done and will have an office up there. I have a Victorian house so thick walls etc and virgin media router is in kitchen diner on ground floor. I can run Ethernet cables up to the loft easily enough from the virgin router and my intention is to place an access point on first floor then a another on second floor (in new loft conversion) and then I would like to mount one outside on the house to give garden coverage. It looks to me like I need a ‘cable router’ then 2 x access points and a third outdoor access point. I have been looking at an ac1200 tp link device for next to the virgin router (I think I need to change the state of the router to a modem?) then using ac1350 for the ceiling mounted points in the first and second floor and then n300 tp link for the outside. So what I need to know is - Does this sound like a good solution? If not what do you suggest? Can this all be done through POE or do I need to also run additional power supplies? What specification of Ethernet cable should I use? Anything I have missed? Please try to keep responses simple as any jargon used above is simply through reading up - I am a caterer not a technician! Thanks in advance for suggestions and help Alex

wee eddie 22:46 03 Apr 2019

What a faff. Just use Powerline Adapters. Maybe not quite as fast as direct Ethernet Cables but available everywhere your Mains go.

john bunyan 23:29 03 Apr 2019

These would be ideal. Base unit at router, then as wee eddie says use on mains. These give you both wi fi and LAN ports- one in attic with an extra LAN socket if you want more than 2 sockets and one on lower floor. I get same speed up as down via LAN for desktop and they provide a MESH wi fi for a house with thick walls.

Devolo Magic 2

See reviews in Techadvisor and others

john bunyan 08:01 04 Apr 2019

Upstairs you coud link a Devolo in its LAN role with a short Ethernet cable ( enough to get from mains socket to desktop) with a LAN socket such as this

TP

That way you end up with , effectively, a duplicate router upstairs combined with wi fi through the house .If 2 LAN sockets are enough then the Devolo has them. You could, later, buy a third Devolo LAN / wi fi unit to plug in near the garden but it may not be needed.

I did a lot of homework on this and found only the Devolo Magic 2 system did what I needed - use mains circuits instead of Ethernet cables, provide wi fi throughout the house, combined with 2 LAN sockets per unit.

john bunyan 09:17 04 Apr 2019

BTW I have no association with Devolo but read this

review

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans