On-line Guide to Sound bars.

morddwyd 10:09 16 Sep 2015

I'm thinking of getting a soundbar.

Anybody give me a steer to an on-line idiots guide? For once Wiki is not much help.

Not looking for individual reviews and such, just an overview of technology, pitfalls etc.

BT 11:41 16 Sep 2015

I recently bought a Philips one with separate subwoofer. It has multiple connections, Optical, Digital Coaxial, HDMI, RCA and Composite to choose from as well a Bluetooth and a USB socket. So you can take your choice of how to connect it. Many of the cheaper ones have very limited connection options. The separate Subwoofer gives a good spatial definition to the sound output.

I bought mine with my Clubcard Vouchers so was able to afford a slightly more expensive one. Probably worth buying from somewhere where you can hear them to compare.

john bunyan 13:07 16 Sep 2015

I bought a Denon base, where you can put a modestly sized (42")TV on top. Some will go for massive systems with speakers, sub woofers etc all round the room, but if you just want clarity and better sound, I think this is worth a look

Denon sound base

Forum Editor 13:14 16 Sep 2015

Here's a list of some good ones. And here's a guide to what to look for.

morddwyd 19:29 16 Sep 2015

Thanks. That will give me sufficient info to be going on with.

wee eddie 10:33 17 Sep 2015

M. I have just gone down the Cans route. Just got a 5 metre extension cable for my old pair of headphones and am thinking about investing in a Bluetooth, or wireless, pair.

At least I wont be blasting the neighbours to smithereens, as I gradually become deafer and deafer.

Oh, and by the way, the sound stage is absolutely brilliant

morddwyd 10:36 17 Sep 2015

wee eddie

Been using cans (Sennheiser) for many years. Now I'm on my own thought I'd go back to speakers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)