iOS vs Android? Need suggestion for a budget phone

amyleah 10:23 01 Jan 2019

Guys, I wanted to buy a phone but couldnt be able to decide which OS should I go for? iOS or Android? Any suggestions or references?

wee eddie 11:21 01 Jan 2019

iOS and Budget are not usually spoken in the same breath

Forum Editor 11:46 01 Jan 2019

An iPhone 7 is likely to set you back at least £450, and that's for a phone that was launched two years ago.

If you shop around, you can get a SIM free Samsung Galaxy A6 for around half that.

Both phones are excellent, and in the end it's question of deciding whether or not the iPhone is worth the extra cost as far as you are concerned.

I have owned iPhones in the past, and they were (and still are) superb phones. At the moment I'm using a Galaxy S7, and I think it's the best phone I have ever used. It's all about personal choices, and perceived value for money. These days,most smarphones do the job of being a phone superbly well.

The cost ramps up when you start wanting more in terms of features and build quality etc., and you buy a new model soon after launch.

If your budget is tight, consider buying a secondhand phone. It can be an excellent way to get a high-spec phone at relatively low cost. There's no reason why a three year old phone shouldn't work just as well as it did when it was new - there are no moving parts to wear out.

bremner 11:47 01 Jan 2019

Why are you asking the same question again?? Click here

Forum Editor 11:53 01 Jan 2019

bremner

To be fair, it's not the same question - the other thread specifically refers to OS security, and you gave the right answer to that.

bremner 16:43 04 Jan 2019

A fair comparisons would be S9 v XS or S9+ v XS Max

In either instance it is unlikely a student would opt for these - a more sensible comparison would be iPhone 7/ iPhone 8 v S8

harrys56431 08:17 09 May 2019

If you compare between iPhone & android, then I will must recommend you to go for android because in these days you can get everything according to an iPhone user in android at very economical price.

rishabhb398 07:27 30 May 2019

If you want a budget phone with all features, I will suggest you to go with MI or RealMe phones (Android). Because Apple is way too costly and personally I like android more than IOS because of it's features.

Mitchie23 13:36 13 Jun 2019

Iphone's been innovating to offer the same convenience that android phones are known for. you just have to name your priorities. like budget, the features you will always use, etc.

For mobile photography, definitely I'm choosing IPhone. but for tasks, accessibility to file sharing and stuff, I'm choosing android. Be careful tho, because viruses might interfere with Android's functions since it allows accessibility to almost any type of files. unlike IPhone which is super selective.

Haddince 05:23 21 Jun 2019

An old iPhone I wouldn't classify as cheap. You have better options with Android although of course performance also varies.

polymath 21:54 26 Jun 2019

Depends what you want from a phone, but have you looked at Motorola? I'm not au fait with recent models, but have had my Moto G 2015 2nd gen nearly 4 years and am still delighted with it. It was a budget one, but compared well with many mid-range ones, and the camera captures colour faithfully (photos seem as good as my Lumix DMC-TZ8 camera). I like the control Android allows, and it was more so with Moto (only essential apps preloaded).

If considering a second-hand buy, there may be a downside re support for newer OS versions (e.g. my phone model stopped at Android 6). I don't know how much it matters though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)