House plus Bungalow attached need for Wifi

Govan1x 06:57 08 Mar 2019

Moving into a little bungalow which will be attached to my daughters hose who is moving in on the same day.

The question is will one wireless system do both houses or do we need two ISP's. Or is it a case of wait and see.

We actually move today but it will be about 3 weeks before ours is ready for moving into.

john bunyan 08:42 08 Mar 2019

The first question is : Are both properties on the same electric main supply?Also where is the incoming telephone socket? I have just installed a combined Mesh / Homeplug system using Devolo Magic 2 . When you know a bit more we can comment Good luck with the move. NB Wi Fi dongles might work, wait add see how strong the signal is

Govan1x 10:39 08 Mar 2019

I am not sure how they are connected JB. The daughter is just exchanging keys this afternoon.. The actual houses are connected by a corridor with different back doors.

will leave it a day or so before I ask them. give them time to settle down. It will be 3 weeks before we move in.

At the moment not sure how all the major connections are working. Whether in the one house or not.I would imagine they would be separate as we have our own front door number. Have been told the house insurance covers both houses.

john bunyan 11:47 08 Mar 2019

Depending on where the main house BT socket and where the router will be, and providing that your daughter is ok to be the main ISP customer, and is willing for you to share, then a wi fi dongle may be ok.

Will have suggestions when you know more.

PS my speed with Plusnet is about 40mbps , about 650 metres from the nearest cabinet, upload 18mbps. Ethernet and wi fi the same, more or less

Govan1x 12:05 08 Mar 2019

JB.

My daughter is going for sky as the previous owner had that and hopes it will be quicker to get installed.Just a wait and see game for me at the moment. Thanks for your helpful comments.

john bunyan 13:16 08 Mar 2019

Well then assuming you have a laptop and a desktop, you could use the Wi Fi on the laptop to check signal etc. If ok you could get a USB wi fi dongle for desktop. Keep in touch

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?