Hotspot devices and sim cards for European travel

Idgie 17:33 13 Mar 2019

I am visiting Portugal for two weeks and France for three months this year. Neither of the places I am staying have internet access. A wifi hotspot seems to be the answer and I am happy to buy an unlocked one here and use local sim cards as I am told any sim card/ monthly deals purchased in the UK are blocked after 15 gb in Europe. My husband wants to live stream the cricket on the ipad whilst we are there so we need at least 60 gb per month. Two French telecoms companies offer monthly deals with 100 gb of data for €19.99 which you can apply for on line but when trying to complete the on-line form I am asked whether I want to keep my existing mobile phone number (but it won’t accept my existing UK number) or accept a free French phone number. It is naturally all in French so difficult enough to translate. My question therefore is: Do I accept the French phone number, put the sim into the wifi device and it will just work? I realise there are companies who rent out wifi devices and packages for international travel but they are pricey and still don’t offer enough GBs. This is new territory for me so hope someone can please advise!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?