Help understanding I.P addresses

Sasha78 12:39 15 Apr 2018

Long story short there's been a big family fall out, someone in the family (I think my niece) has been logging into my mums Facebook account and reading her private messages. Iv gone through my mums login records and there is different devices with different I.P addresses on there....is there any way to identify the person with this info? I tried to match up the I.P addresses with the same ones that belonged to my niece from Netflix as she had been signing into my account to watch that with my permission before said fall out but when I went on the list on Netflix there's about 10 different I.P addresses! And when I thought Ild matched them up I realise now I can't of bcoz that person has watched Netflix since I changed my password following the fall out. Please can anyone help me u derstand ir tell me where to start with this investigation?

mrcalif 13:24 15 Apr 2018

I'd tread very carefully here, as IP Address's can change when and where ever and are by no means full evidence of who's logged into ones account.

rdave13 14:08 15 Apr 2018

I agree with mrcalif as most IP addresses are dynamic and not static. If a static IP address then it won't show up in the router. You can check the MAC address' in the router's DHCP clients list in the router to see which device is which.

As long as passwords are changed then that should be enough.

mrcalif 14:33 15 Apr 2018

rdave13 I can understand your thinking, however you would not be able to match an IP Address with a MAC Address externally outside off your own LAN.

Netflix Login Details only give you the time/ date and IP of a device. Not the MAC Address. They do have those details, (Data Link Layer of the OSI Model) but are only available to my knowledge to the Police via a Court Order.

Without the MAC Address of the device there is no way for certain who logged in.

Sasha78 14:45 15 Apr 2018

I appreatiate ur replies thank you. Unfortunately a password change is not enough to rectify this situation. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to gain access to someone's private account without the account holders position? Or am I really wrong here? This initially all came about when my mum was contacted by FB regarding someone from an unusual (to her) location logging into her FB I know 100% private messages have been read....do we just have to accept that?

mrcalif 14:57 15 Apr 2018

I tried to match up the I.P addresses with the same ones that belonged to my niece from Netflix as she had been signing into my account to watch that with my permission before said fall out but when I went on the list on Netflix there's about 10 different I.P addresses!

On very thin ground here. That's against Netflix's T&C's as by the sound of your statement, your Niece is not a member of your own household.

I'd accept it. Change the password as rdavie13 suggests. You can't have it both ways.

rdave13 15:04 15 Apr 2018

mrcalif I agree. As for your new reply Sasha78 then I can only think that either your router or some of your devices have been compromised, check firmware update for router, change name and login password for router, run full security scans for all devices then change all passwords again. That's what I would do.

Sasha78 15:13 15 Apr 2018

No, our devices haven't been compromised. My niece has admitted to looking on my mums FB (as she knew her email add & password) and said her excuse is bcoz she wanted to check she wasn't sharing pictures of her great granchildren. She has denied reading the private messages however we know she has by a reference she made that had only been discussed by my mum and a close friend via FB messenger Ur replies regarding I.P addresses has made me realise I need to drop that one but what about accessing someone's account without their permission is it not breeching the computer misuse act or something to do with data protection?

rdave13 15:22 15 Apr 2018

Your niece was privy to the relevant information to log in to your mothers' Facebook account by your own fault of not keeping it 'private'. Leaving such information about, to be found, then even Banks wouldn't refund money if such sloppiness occurred with such information to log in.

Yes your niece did wrong and has admitted it. Change passwords and move on.

mrcalif 15:22 15 Apr 2018

what about accessing someone's account without their permission is it not breeching the computer misuse act or something to do with data protection?

Your probably correct. But both you and your niece are guilty of that.

Sasha78 15:39 15 Apr 2018

Mrcalif....how am I guilty of it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

Say aloha to the summertime vibes of artist Kim Sielbeck

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)