Hearing Line-In Audio through PC Speakers

Esc4p3 14:15 13 Jan 2009

Hi, on my old Win Me PC when I connected my Hi-Fi line out to my Creative soundcard to record some Vinyl to MP3, I could hear (monitor) the recorded sound coming out of my PC Speakers. However, I now have a Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio and Windows Vista, and although recording is fine there is no sound coming out of the PC speakers. Can you please advise what I need to do to enable the sound. Thanks in advance.

Jim_F 14:51 13 Jan 2009

I'm not sure what the Xi Fi mixer looks like in Vista but on my Audigy I set the playback device to 'Line in' and the Recording device to 'What U Hear'. Both Speakers(Playback Devices) and What U Hear(Record Devices) are set as enabled and Default.

(The two sets of devices are visible when you right click the Volume icon on the task bar - at least this is how my system works !)

Esc4p3 19:22 13 Jan 2009

My X-Fi drivers do not support 'what u hear' as I am on Vista. I have a previous version of the driver that did support the feature but then my Microphone was not recognised and I could not use Skype - so perhaps that is my issue....

Jim_F 20:31 13 Jan 2009

Strange - I am on Vista and get those mixer options - I was told the Audigy drivers were moded X-Fi's :)

Jim_F 00:19 14 Jan 2009

Can you set analogue mix (record) and line in (playback) - that works for me as well.

john bunyan 21:28 14 Jan 2009

I use X Fi on XP. There are settings in the XFi menu - I found your problem when the system had mysteriously switched the X Fi to games mode. The speakers came on when I altered the setting back to , I think music etc. I had to use the headphone out of the player (cassette and vinyl) to the microphone input of the X Fi. I use Roxio Creator 2009 to capture and edit the tapes etc, and have at last found how to edit them! I did try the Creative software supplied with the X Fi but found Roxio easier. Do look at the details on the X Fi settings.

john bunyan 21:37 14 Jan 2009

The setting is in the Creative Audio Console in the X Fi (in the Creative folder.)

Esc4p3 14:18 15 Jan 2009

But I am not sure the audio console properly works on my vista despite various re-installs. I have the tabs 'speakers', 'eax effects', 'x-fi CMSS', 'x-fi crystalizer', 'SPDIF', 'headphone detection', 'performance' and 'restore defaults'. Nothing about games or music.... :(

john bunyan 16:31 15 Jan 2009

Esc4p3. In mine there is a tab: Mode. In this I selected: Audio Creation Mode.I think Enternainment mode is also ok. For some reason my card had switched to games mode. I wonder if when one tries to put a jack into the line in it affects this feature? Anyway in the end I found using a headphone out on the player and microphone in on the XFi worked in the end.

Esc4p3 14:18 16 Feb 2009

I ended up reinstalling the driver and it is fine now.... ticking resolved, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?