Has it Got Any Easier to Change Mobile Provider

morddwyd 09:57 02 Aug 2018

How easy is it to change you Pay As You Go mobile provider, retaining your number and credit?

I'm fed up of having to go into the conservatory or porch to make a call.

The last time I tried my chosen operator,BT, having given me the run around on three continents, refused unless I took out a contrast, even though I have BT Broadband and BT Sport.

Has increased competition sharpened them up?

The Kestrel 10:44 02 Aug 2018

I don't know whether this will help you or not. I had a Vodafone pay-as-you-go account but moved to a BT mobile sim only deal. As a BT phone, broadband and TV customer I was offered a discounted deal. For £5 per month I now get unlimited calls and texts plus 1GB of data per month.

The Kestrel 10:46 02 Aug 2018

Sorry should have added that Vodafone supplied me with a MAC without problems and BT did all the rest to transfer my old mobile number to my new account.

john bunyan 11:24 02 Aug 2018

I use a SIM only smartphone, and , for £10 a month on a ROLLING monthly “contract “ with Giffgaff get unlimited calls, texts and 4 Gig data. They use the 02 network. Online only so no call centre, but no worries in a few years. For landline calls I use BT and up to now TT for B.B. at a rolling monthly 8 mbps ADSL. Hate contracts and am considering moving to SSE for phone and B.B. with an estimated download of 60 mbps on a rolling monthly contract, price fixed for 3 years. Being hassled by BT to go to them but don’t like the idea of being locked in for 19 months

john bunyan 11:26 02 Aug 2018

Ps Kept old no when I moved to Giffgaff

john bunyan 12:44 02 Aug 2018

PPS

You won’t be able to transfer PAYG credit to another provider. As long as your phone is unlocked , by the way., a new SIM and provider should be ok. I buy a used unlocked smartphone. If locked , prices vary to unlock it. Ask someone local to give views of network coverage before switching .

wee eddie 14:12 02 Aug 2018

It might make sense to find which Providers are able to provide a better signal, in your area, before making the change.

For example, at my sister's, out in deepest North Ayrshire, my phone which is on EE/ex-T-Mobile gets no signal but their phones, with a BT Contract, all work well.

rdave13 19:53 04 Aug 2018

It's all witchcraft. Prior to some mast (software?) updates my EE phone was better than O2 (supplied by Tesco). Now it's the other way around.

rdave13 20:43 04 Aug 2018

mrcalif , yes. I forgot that BT now owns EE.

wee eddie 17:33 05 Aug 2018

Must admit that I haven't checked it for a couple of years

polymath 21:20 04 Sep 2018

Re your other thread, if you're still thinking of trying a new mobile network, might be worth also asking them if their customers can receive texts from Australia, and from which network(s). (If they won't tell you, some forum searching should).

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL