Freeview problem recieving channels- please help?

Sam Bywater 10:27 16 Feb 2018

Really hoping someone can help with my Freeview problem. We recently moved from Swindon to Milton Keynes and since my 'main' TV is not able to pick up Freeview properly. It scans fine but only picks up 26 channels, which are the standard BBC C4 etc plus the HD versions and some kids ones. I have checked my postcode online and I should be able to receive everything.

I have tried re-tuning over and over in different ways and fiddling with all the settings to no avail. In our previous house it worked absolutely fine with no issues.

In at attempt to diagnose the problem I have tried our other TV in the same ariel socket with the same ariel lead (the lead is 10m long and I wondered if that was the issue) and this one works absolutely fine and picks up over 140 channels, so it seems to be some kind of issue between my main TV and the freeview signal. Weirdly, the second TV that works fine is a 10yr old Samsung and the main one we are having issues with is a fancy 4k 1yr old Samsung.

Can anyone suggest what I should try next to fix the problem? Would a signal booster or an indoor ariel help? Or is there some magic fix? The main roof ariel doesn't seem to be an issue as the second TV picks it up fine. I just don't know what to try next?

Sam Bywater 13:48 17 Feb 2018

I can't find anywhere it lets me enter a postcode, but I will have a fiddle with the settings. Once I have the booster I will definitley wipe the existing channels before scanning again.

Secret-Squirrel 15:50 17 Feb 2018

Once I have the booster I will definitley wipe the existing channels before scanning again.

You may not need a booster if you try my suggestions.

I can't find anywhere it lets me enter a postcode,

Some Freeview receivers have that option and some don't.

john bunyan 16:57 17 Feb 2018

Maybe worth getting a signal tester (I know it is £20) as your aerial may want re aligning.

Max view Digital Signal tester

Ventad 21:39 17 Feb 2018

@ sam bywater,

I think it was this click here

Ventad 21:43 17 Feb 2018

Sorry I said I think it was , indeed it was that url phone number

Govan1x 11:58 18 Feb 2018

If your normal aerial does not work on it and it works ok on your other TV I cant see the point of buying a booster to get a better signal. I think my connection is either Bedford or Wisbech not sure which one I Picked.

Probably your settings on the TV that's the problem. If using an aerial you have to set the connection to aerial and not cable.

Secret-Squirrel 19:17 18 Feb 2018

.... I cant see the point of buying a booster to get a better signal.

I'm not convinced it's a poor-signal issue either. It seems too much of a coincidence that the number of channels his new Samsung is receiving is the same number as what's available on "Freeview Lite". My hunch is that the TV has latched onto a nearby relay transmitter.

By the way, Sandy Heath is the main transmitter for Milton Keynes.

Sam Bywater 22:29 18 Feb 2018

Very useful information but I can't find how to change the postcode of the reciever. The only location option it gives me is country? It doesn't ask for a postcode when I scan

Govan1x 23:25 18 Feb 2018

When you reset the freeview channels it should tell you what Transmitter it is connected to. And like Secret-Squirrel says if it does not say Sandy heath change it to that. That is your nearest transmitter. And of course it should be set to digital channels only.

I suppose new TV's nowadays will probably all be set to that. My old TV says Digital and analogue.

Sam Bywater 09:47 19 Feb 2018

Unforunatley I don't see any transmitter details when I scan for channels or I do a factory reset. I don't think it will let me change it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Is it safe to use NordVPN?

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)