foreign sim card can the phone default to home?

luddy 16:50 01 Dec 2018

Hi Folks I am in mexico. since my last trip I have replaced my phone (previous one couldn't swim). I still have the old sim card from mexico. It gets a signal and I got a message in spanish (couldn't understand it) when I fired it up so it must be recognizing it.

My question is: Is there a chance (without me knowing it) that it can revert back to my Canadian provider -koodo- with the mexican telcel sim card inserted? - they charge both arms and legs..... Thanks very much for any advice.

Cheers Gerry

Forum Editor 13:58 03 Dec 2018

You'll know which network your phone is connecting to if you look at the connection settings - it will show you available networks, and the one to which the phone is connecting.

if you're using a Mexican pay as you go SIM and it works, the phone is probably unlocked - you can put any SIM into it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch