Computer security software best recommendations

Clueless 20:02 11 Jul 2019

I am a self-described techno illiterate. I need to protect my iPhone 8, laptop (Windows 8.1), desktop (Windows 7) (pls stop laughing) and Amazon Fire 8 from anything nefarious on the internet, viruses, Maleware, phishing and anything else I am as yet unaware of. What brand should I look at?? Under $75 pls?? Thx for your help!!

john bunyan 21:57 11 Jul 2019

I use Windows Defender ( free) as anti virus, coupled with Malwarebytes Premium as a blocker of dodgy sites, PUP’s etc and monitor of live web browsing. Not sure if price in US but you can get a 2 computer licence. Also I use Macrium Reflect to make images of the OS about weekly to a usb hd as I think it more reliable than restore points. Coupled with CCLEANER to clear out junk, browsing history etc

Clueless 23:31 11 Jul 2019

Thanks to John for his reply, but I think you missed the part about being illiterate. I was hacked big time using Windows Defender. Had to cancel all credit cards and put a freeze on my credit. Lost $1k when my email acct was stolen by someone in Mexico! I probably clicked a link that security didn’t register as dangerous. Need protection against that kind of thing. (Didn’t understand much else that you posted�

wee eddie 07:43 12 Jul 2019

Windows Defender is an Antivirus Program/App.

Antivirus Programs (almost all) don't defend you against Malware and PUPs. For that you'll need other Software and Common Sense. Don't download/Click-on stuff from Sources that you don't know.

There's free stuff out there but you need to be vigilant yourself. Malwarebytes, Unchecky, Super AntiSpyWare and lots more. You also need an isolated Backup System, I use NTI Shadow which is Canadian.

mrgrumpy 17:17 12 Jul 2019

first a note to FE this guy is asking for product help so I don't think I am breaking any rules with my recommendation.

Ok clueless I have just replaced my Kaspersky anti virus as the licence was about to expire , I got it from amazon and got a real surprise when I ordered it , the version I use is for 5 devices of any kind plus they now do a 2 years subscription.

if you do get this I would recommend you set up a "my Kaspersky" account before you need to use it , this will make it quicker for you to register the code on the licence , you don't get a disc just a card , also a tip , don't scratch the silver tape off the code , pick at the edge and it will peel off.

Clueless 18:16 12 Jul 2019

My thanks to all who have replied!! I Am considering Webroot (for 5 devices) Complete. Seems to protect against everything and is less than $40 on Amazon. Will also add Malewarebytes if it is not to $$$. I am a senior on Soc Sec.

Clueless 13:58 19 Jul 2019

My thanks to all who responded!

sightofsun 09:03 10 Oct 2019

I use Dr.Web Security Space (also they give an Android version for free) and also I use common sense as wee eddie mentioned. If something suspicious is happenning, I scan my computer with CureIt. As for the internet, I always use vpn cause once I lost large sum of money while using public Wi-fi. Everything end up well and it was a good lesson for me. So VPN is a must have. There's a good article called url=[click here about a VPN[/url] on this topic.

john bunyan 09:43 10 Oct 2019

First time poster on old thread. Wee eddie what do you think?

wee eddie 09:43 10 Oct 2019

Another VPN Spam, disguised as advice

Brian Hamilton 18:31 11 Oct 2019

Coupled with CCLEANER to clear out junk, browsing history etc

Hahahha!!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best TV streaming services: Netflix vs Amazon Prime vs Disney+ and more

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

La tablette graphique XP-PEN Artist22PRO tombe à 297 € sur Amazon !