changing my broadband and phone provider

archie 13:49 14 Apr 2019

It is a long time since I moved from one provider to my current one. It is well over 10 years. My contract finishes in a couple of months and I want to be on top of things I need. The last time I seem to remember that I need a code from my supplier, not sure if I need one for this change. I still have not chosen my future provider, as it is still to early but I would be grateful if someone could give me some pointers in switching.

I have switched things like electric and gas through comparison sites and in most cases found it easyish. Would you recommend using one of these sites to switch over for broadband.

I don't know if it is relevant but we are on medium fibre.

john bunyan 15:14 14 Apr 2019

I did quite a lot of homework a few months ago. I prefer to have the phone from BT and then choose a broadband supplier, but if you prefer to have both , fine. I was with Talk Talk for years, putting up with a mediocre ADSL service .I now use Outlook.com so no need for TT e mail . I had run out of contract and was on a monthly rolling one. When FTTC came to our road , I: a) Chose Plusnet as BB super fibre unlimited. I chose the shortest contract of 12 months. They would have supplied phone as well but I kept BT for that. TT wanted £27 a month for old ADSL - Plusnet was under £25 . I am about 450 m from nearest cabinet- they guaranteed 48 mbps . Having decided, I agreed the contract with Plusnet- to start about a month later. As I was on a monthly contract they informed TT. I did formally also told TT of the decision and gave the date agreed with Plusnet. Plusnet sent router. On the day it went well . Now getting 65 mbps most of the time with a U.K. based call centre.

As long as your contract is over , there is no need for you to worry. Just check that the new supplier will keep your phone number, and you are out of contract.

john bunyan 15:26 14 Apr 2019

Plusnet was chosen above BT as they only have a U.K. call centre, and others here recommended it . I don’t use TV etc via BB so did not look at Sky. Also Virgin only does FTTP and I did not want a trench through my concrete around the house, nor a longer contract than 12 months.

wee eddie 15:48 14 Apr 2019

There is only one side of changing that you really need to consider carefully, and only then if you have been using your Supplier Provided email address, for donkeys years.

You will lose that address and will need to change every contact to your new address. Of course there are plenty of Free addresses around, so no real bother setting up a new one.

However what's a few quid a month, to every Contact that you lose and very Account that you can no longer do business with. And those old friends, who know your previous email address but not your new one.

I know that I am weird but I count my time as Wages/Money, which gives me a potential comparison on the cost of a change over.

john bunyan 16:39 14 Apr 2019

*wee eddie *

That was the main reason I stayed with Talk Talk for over 20 years since Pipex days. I was in a POP3 e mail so have a huge file of historical e mails that should be cleaned up! In preparation for switching away from TT I started an outlook.com IMAP email and now most of my regular contacts have switched to it. The advantage is that it will work via any ISP-and e mails come to my desktop and laptop, and to my iPhone.

Although I cannot change the TT password now for their e mail I can still use it . Due to occasional false mails purporting to come from me and the usual threats saying accounts to be frozen etc, I check emails first on the TT server and block. and delete them there prior to opening them via Office as one of the e mail clients on there. Most ISP’s will , ether free or for a small fee, let you keep such e mail for a period. I would not , now, go back to a ISP only e mail arrangement.

Joe Bowen 06:21 15 Apr 2019

I know that I am weird but I count my time as Wages/Money, which gives me a potential comparison on the cost of a change over.

Peanuts then.

Old Deuteronomy 11:10 15 Apr 2019

There is only one side of changing that you really need to consider carefully, and only then if you have been using your Supplier Provided email address, for donkeys years.

You will lose that address and will need to change every contact to your new address. Of course there are plenty of Free addresses around, so no real bother setting up a new one.

I've used Hotmail/Outlook email for many years, completely avoids email problems when switching ISP.

archie 12:30 15 Apr 2019

Thank you john bunyan for your posting, that information does help. We are on medium fibre and around 900 m from our nearest cabinet and get around 23MBps download. I am thinking of going full fibre as we do quite a lot of streaming and price is no barrier, so a few pounds one way or the other makes no difference. Like you it is talktalk that is the problem.

wee eddie

No problem re email addresses. I use talktalk email for my utility, council tax and other services. Private emails are via gmail and I use blue mail as a collection point. So a few emails to change over to my gmail account should be easy. I will not use my new providers email service just in case I change in the future.

Thanks to one and all. I will keep the thread open in case any other tips or hints come along and may be of use to others.

wee eddie 16:25 15 Apr 2019

Archie, you're a lucky one. There are hundreds of Companies that I have done business with, in the past, that rely on my ISPs email address for contact, log-in and account confirmation, to say nothing of 30 years of ex-staff and friends, who contact me from time to time.

They may (repeat - may) let you keep it for 6 months to a year, after that you will need to buy access, at something between £5 and £10 a month.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)