Buying / using a Sky + box

rancyroo 21:33 26 Aug 2006

Am looking at getting a Sky + box to use as a HDD recorder. Gets excellent user reviews for ease of use and clarity of the EPG. This is vital to get my wife to use it.
To get one from Sky I would have to do monthly sub or buy a package which do not want to do.
If I buy one of the many for sale on eg ebay does this avoid paying a monthly sub or do Sky get you in some way when you try to use it?

Grateful if anybody can clarify this for me.
Many thanks

DieSse 00:54 27 Aug 2006

You cannot use any of the "+" features, including the recorder functions, without an extra subscription - they just don't work.

In addition to the box you need an LNB with a minimum of two outputs (Sky normally fit a quad LNB, then you can use your old digibox in another room too) - and a cable to the dish for each outlet you use (2 for the Sky+ box itself).

ArrGee 09:44 28 Aug 2006

I have a Sky + box, connected to a PC using a hybrid digital-analogue USB TV stick. USB stick cost around £30 including appropriate recording software, so no need to pay the extra tenner a month to Sky to record my programs. Instead a one off £30 and record straight to my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?