Buying an unlocked dual sim phone

bwanacoop 08:03 21 Jan 2017

I need a new phone but I am a technology dinosaur. I have been shamed into replacing my 'calls only' phone by family and business associates. I have decided what I need but I don't know which damn phone to buy. Can anyone help please? The following are the criteria I am looking for in a new phone. 1. Android 2. Dual sim - I work in multiple countries overseas 3. Small - I hate carrying a phone anyway so if I have to have one it should be small 4. A good camera - above 12 m.p. 5. Good battery life 6. Both sims to be 4G and 3G or above rated 7. Sturdy - doesn't break if you look at it. I don't listen to music, I don't play games, I don't download virtually anything so it does not have to be whizz bang, it has to be a workhorse that doesn't feel like a pistol in my pocket. Any advice would be terrific.

lotvic 12:47 21 Jan 2017

To take the mystery out - definition of a 'smartphone': a mobile phone that performs many of the functions of a computer, typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and an operating system capable of running downloaded apps. A mini tablet that can also make phone calls.

Smartphone reviews click here

Also note that some dual sim phones have the 2nd slot for a data only sim, so check the specs if you are actually wanting to have 2 phone numbers.

bwanacoop 13:20 21 Jan 2017

Thank you for this assistance and I will definitely look at the link.

lotvic 14:07 21 Jan 2017

When my ancient 10 year old nokia 'calls and texts only' phone finally gave up (battery wouldn't hold a charge) I bought a moto g4 and am pleased with it now I've tweaked settings to my liking :)

alanrwood 15:54 21 Jan 2017

Quote:

Also note that some dual sim phones have the 2nd slot for a data only sim, so check the specs if you are actually wanting to have 2 phone numbers.

I don't know any that are as you say. They all to my knowledge can receive phone calls on both sims but you pick the sim you want to use for calls, messages, date etc

Most of budget ones however will only do 3G on one sim , the other being restricted to 2G.

Not too sure about dual sim 4G phones but I think that they operate in a similar fashion

lotvic 18:37 21 Jan 2017

alanrwood, yes it's as per you say. I was mixing it up with on some the 2nd sim slot restricted to 2G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?