Best Tech for playing library of playlists?

Quartin 11:20 29 Mar 2019

Hi, I'm looking for advice on the best tech for playing a library of playlists in my front room. I have a fairly extensive digital library of playlists (original albums and 'curated') in loss-less format (on lap-top and backed up on stick). So, I can't see the point in streaming (too low res) or paying to listen to music I already own + what is the point in having good speakers to play MP3s? So what are my options? Is it best to invest in blue-tooth/wifi speakers (Bose?) to play track-lists from my laptop? Or perhaps DAS drive + speakers? I also want to listen to digital radio - but listening to my own collection in the a convenient way is the main priority. Any advice gratefully received!

Gordon Freeman 18:57 29 Mar 2019

Check out Sonos. Uses yr wifi (not bluetooth). Plays via wifi so any connected device laptop, desktop, mobile phone can connect to Sonos via app/controller. Not cheap but I'd recommend if budget allows.

Gordon Freeman 19:24 29 Mar 2019

Should have added, my NAS is connected as a music library source & all controlled via app on phone &/or desktop/laptop. Sonos also provides digital radio built in, again all controllable via app. Smallest spkr is Sonos 1, next Sonos 3, largest Sonos 5. You can pair up say two Sonos 1s/3s/5s for stereo. You cannot pair a 1 to a 3 or 5, or a 3 to a 5, but you can 'group' different types.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Pantone has invented 294 new colours

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Google Pixel 4 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs