Hot Topics

Best product for TV Video calling

Bob Smith 09:14 24 Mar 2020

Hi, During these unprecedented times I as many cannot get to my 86 year old mother as frequently as necessary. We will be getting broadband fitted and I would like to know if there is a video calling product that will pop up instantly on her tv if we call her as she may not be able to answer any tech put in front of her

wee eddie 09:31 24 Mar 2020

For reasons of privacy, I think that such a product is unlikely

Menzie 13:59 24 Mar 2020

Some TVs have Skype but not all have the ability to enable auto answer. Also the built-in camera is pretty much only reserved for the higher end of the market.

Unless built into the TV, cable or Sky box, no device is going to just 'pop-up' on the TV during ordinary viewing.

Consider something like an Echo Show if your Mother has the ability to answer by voice. It also has a 'drop-in' feature which means selected contacts will be automatically answered however this requires setting up on her end. The permission for auto answering from you must be granted on her device before it works that way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 25 Mar 2020

what sort of Tv and phone does she use? a smart phone?

phones can be cast to a TV or chromecast or you can connect an old smart phone to a TV and use that as camera and microphone.

but there is nothing simple to just use on the TV as a video phone app.

Try looking at Tellybean app it may be the nearest you can get.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

All the Creative Live Streams that'll save 2020

Different Think: Apple, stop being so successful!

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans