Advice on tablet and OS for work+leisure

Prfiddan 10:59 25 May 2017

Hi, thanks in advance for reading and helping if you can.

So basically I'm looking for something portable (is tablet with keyboard the best option?) for both work and leisure. The work will be university work, typing up notes and working on assignments when out of the house, I have a desktop for any heavy work. And for play just light games and the occasional film.

I currently don't have any tablet. I do own a 9 year old windows pc which works fine and a Galaxy S6 phone.

So I've never used anything apple upto now and only have android experience from my phones.

Which operating system would suit my needs best and why? Any particular recommendations on devices?

Thanks again

Blazing_Boy 01:29 26 May 2017

I would still recommend to use windows, so you could try Surface or Lenovo miix 510. Both of them are great and could be undocked.

lotvic 18:06 01 Jun 2017

PCA reviews click here

wee eddie 21:50 01 Jun 2017

Because Tablets are thin and light they tend to have low powered processors and rubbish keyboards, so as a work tool they are beaten by any Laptop at about 1/3rd the price.

That is not to say that the Surface Pro is not a magic piece of kit if you happen to have £1600 in your pocket

lotvic 22:26 01 Jun 2017

I very much doubt that 'Blazing_Boy' has any actual hands-on experience of either of the two he mentions, more likely it is what he has read online.

As with any newbie forumite, read the quality of their other posts before considering their advice to be sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)