ZX Spectrum 128k - Value

tbh72 11:42 26 Aug 2003

I have a ZX Spectrum, it's the model which has the built in tape drive. It was purchased from curry's & was part of a retail box inc. Games, Manual's & Joystick's etc. I have just found it in my Attic in absolute A1 condition, right down to the box packaging.

Is this piece of kit actually worth anything in it's mint condition or are they still 10 a penny?

tenaka 16:37 26 Aug 2003

there was one in my local paper a week or so ago, if i member correctly it was going for about £30-40 with a hundred or so games, a joystick and a tape player.

would guess that if it includes a tape player it was the standard 128k and not the +2 that you refer to.

*sigh* i miss the good old days......

The Ghost of Inept Pig 17:03 26 Aug 2003

The 'Games' Magazine has a list of recommended prices in it's retro section

ZX Spectrum 128k - £40, the +2 is valued at £35, and the +3 at £40.

So, not worth that much money yet.. Although why you'd want to sell such things is beyond me, why if I still had my Amstrad (or Amiga 1200).... sigh... happy days!

tbh72 17:06 26 Aug 2003

Oh - I'm not selling, just curious. Later today I will pull it out of the loft & load ATV Simulator!!! Yeah

The Ghost of Inept Pig 17:10 26 Aug 2003

Needless to say, I am envious? ahh? just to hear the whiny high-pitched tape loading sound again, and then after 30 minutes of loading be confronted with a series a ?Read Error? messages?

Don?t make games like that anymore?

The Ghost of Inept Pig 17:11 26 Aug 2003

Oh.. how odd... I didn't put all the question marks there (honest)

Barrie_G 18:21 26 Aug 2003

The first game I ever became obsessed with was on a spectrum "Robin of Sherwood" nearly sent me mad because of sleep depravation.

dandanman 20:05 26 Aug 2003

I picked up a +2 at car boot sale for £1.00 . What a Bargain! I would not part with it though for 35pounds, I love it, and I dont even remember when they first came out.

Top games:
- Viking Raiders
- Advanced Tactical Fighter (its in 3D!)
- Horace goes Skiing

wee eddie 20:22 26 Aug 2003

Don't play with it.

Put it back in the loft.

Ring Christies in 10 years time.

By then it should buy you a piece of state of the art equipment.

There are insufficient collectors about as yet, just a few folk who want them for old times sake.

Ixora 20:42 26 Aug 2003

Try checking what they are going for on eBay auction site. This should give some indication what people are prepared to pay at the present time.

snoresloudly 22:09 26 Aug 2003

There is a shop in my local town that sells nothing but "old" second hand vic20's,spectrums and amstrads plus all the games and tape drives etc. He does a roaring trade and they are not all that cheap, everytime I pass the shop is full with either balding oldies (like me) or young kids who seem to be buying!. Aaagh the good old days when I learnt to programme on a Vic20!!

The Ghost of Inept Pig
"just to hear the whiny high-pitched tape loading sound again, and then after 30 minutes of loading be confronted with a series a ?Read Error? messages?
Don?t make games like that anymore?"

Yes they do!!!! Still

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?