ZoneAlarm vs AVG + Firewall - Who the best.

Munkeysbum 20:50 27 Aug 2005

I use ZoneAlarm for my firewall and Grisoft AVG for anti-virus. I have had it brought to my attention that ZoneAlarm now incorporate virus protection in their software and AVG incorporate a firewall in theirs. Price wise they are both equal in the long run.

Which in your opinion should I purchase.

I am trying to minimise the amount of background software as much as possible so buying the bundle is what I have descided to do, but, which one.

System is Win XP Home, 1 Gb RAM, 250 Gb HDD, P4 + HT @ 3.4 Ghz & 2 Mb cache.

LastChip 21:03 27 Aug 2005

If you already have Zone Alarm and AVG, each will be running in the background. If you choose one or the other bundle instead, all you're going to do is have two background operations running from the same manufacturer, rather than two operations from different manufacturers.

Just because ZA makes a reasonable firewall, does not necessarily mean it's anti-virus is equally as good and visa versa with AVG.

For such important utilities, I would stay with what I know to be good, and that is what you have at present.

In terms of resources, and with the power of your machine, I doubt you would save anything.

palinka 15:39 28 Aug 2005

for what it's worth, I tried Zone alarm for while, but went back to AVG - nothing to choose between them , but I preferred the look aND methods of operating AVG.

palinka 15:40 28 Aug 2005

for what it's worth, I tried Zone alarm for while, but went back to AVG - nothing to choose between them , but I preferred the look aND methods of operating AVG.

Munkeysbum 16:06 28 Aug 2005

Thank you both for your opinions, I now know that I will stay with ZoneAlarm Firewall & AVG Anti Virus. I should have known "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thanks once again for your valued advice, I really do appreciate it.

Warmest regards Munkey.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?