You might want to think long and hard

Forum Editor 09:26 04 Nov 2003

before embarking on what could be an expensive and time-consuming process. If your aim is to achieve a certification purely for your own satisfaction that's fine - you'll learn a good deal and work very hard, and at the end of the course you'll have a certificate and the knowledge that you have reached a certain standard of proficiency - at least on paper you have.

If, on the other hand you believe that having an MSCE will enable you to get a plum job in IT I would think again before spending the money. I'm not saying that the qualification is worthless - it isn't - but I am saying that IT directors/system administrators fo not hire people on the basis of paper qualifications alone. What counts in the corporate IT world is hands-on experience, and given the choice between two candidates - one with an MCSE and no practical system experience, and one with no certification but a couple of years of hands-on experience - most employers will go for the un-certified but experienced person every time. I certainly would.

Years ago I worked very hard and spent a not insignificant amount of money to achieve a certification, and I can honestly say that in retrospect it made virtually no difference to the amount of fee paying work I received. If I had the choice again I wouldn't do it.

That's purely a personal view of course, and it isn't said to be negative at all. Paper qualifications are an excellent thing and I'm normally very much in favour of them, but I would be failing you if I didn't sound a note of warning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?