XP crashing -RPC service termination on Evesham PC

ZootHornRollo 09:35 12 Feb 2004

I had to reinstall XP yesterday as my system was running incredibly slowly and Evesham advised that this was (after trying a few other options that didn't work) the only course of action available.
So I reloaded XP and all my hardware and everything was as it should be except that within two mins of accessing the net via my Broadband connection a message appeared saying the system was closing down in one minute. The message stated that the shutdown was initiated by "NT AUTHORITY \ SYSTEM" and went on to say that windows had to "restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly". This happened everytime within a few mins of accessing the net but when not connected the PC was fine.
What is this problem and how do I fix it? Evesham helpline is permanently engaged so if anyone can help I'd really appreaciate it

ZootHornRollo 09:41 12 Feb 2004

wrong room - should've posted to help romm instead so please ignore this thread

kenny 21:44 13 Feb 2004

you have the blaster worm. to fix it you need a patch fir windows and a fix. both of which can be got from symantecs website. make sure you install the windows patch first

Gaz 25 02:00 14 Feb 2004

click here - A removal tool is provided for this virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?