Would a new TV replace my Monitor

Govan1x 09:42 06 Oct 2015
Answered

My old TV/Monitor has gave up the ghost and I have to replace it and I find that there is not a lot of TV/Monitors being sold nowadays, So was thinking would I be better just buying a 24" TV and using that.

Monitors on there own are not much cheaper than TV's and Monitor TV's are usually dearer than a TV.

At the moment using an old 23" tv till I work out what to get.

The TV Monitor comes in handy if I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep so looking at TV's and TV monitors. Don't play games or watch videos etc so just wondered if going for a TV would be the best way forward.

Any advice welcome.

chub_tor 10:49 06 Oct 2015

What outputs do you have from your graphics card? VGA, DVI HDMI?

Govan1x 10:55 06 Oct 2015

Connections on the Computer are VGA and HDMI but no DVI connection if that helps.

Govan1x 11:04 06 Oct 2015

Just had a look at speccy and it gives the graphics as a Radeon HD 7560D 512 MB.

I was having a look at this but not sure if it would work ok or not but open to suggestions for anything.

Click Here

chub_tor 11:08 06 Oct 2015

If you have HDMI then the choice is much easier as most modern TVs have this which carries both vision and sound and you can switch between TV and Monitor on the remote by selecting which input you want.

Something like this Samsung from Amazon perhaps but personally I would go to somewhere like Currys or Tesco and have a look at a few before picking one.

chub_tor 11:10 06 Oct 2015

Forget my Samsung link as it seems it is unavailable. Nothing wrong with the LG you linked to.

Govan1x 11:19 06 Oct 2015

Ok chub_tor thanks for taking an interest. I have had a look at your Samsung link a few times but it seems it is old stock now.

Getting square eyes looking. Will settle for something today or tomorrow.

Govan1x 13:25 06 Oct 2015

Only thing that is putting me off my selection is this.Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768. Is that poor for a TV and computer use.

Jollyjohn 16:12 06 Oct 2015

I have a Technic, Tesco own brand, 24" tv that I have been using for several years now, on VGA, at a resolution of 1680 x 1050. The PC is running W7 64 bit with a ATi Radeon gfx card. Note though HDMI does not give me a full screen picture, possibly due to the age of the TV. The only other point to note is you must set the screen res to match the new tv before disconnecting the old monitor.

Govan1x 20:41 06 Oct 2015
Answer

Ended up going for a Samsung 22" as that is what I had before. decided the 24" would probably have been to large.not tried the TV yet so that is my next job. Thanks all for the comments but will class this as Resolved at the moment.

Any problems and I will be back.

rdave13 23:49 06 Oct 2015

Govan1x as you've got an AMD card you should also have AMD Catalyst Control Center installed? If not you can search for it. On Win 10 F4 usually gives the options for external monitor only or both etc. If the external TV/monitor has black edges then in AMD Catalyst Control Centre expand " My Digital Flat-panels". Select "Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel)", you'll see the scaling options from Underscan to Overscan. Slide the slider form underscan to the right. The TV will go black whilst it adjusts. You should end with a full screen eventually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)