Wireless Router BT Home Hub 5

roxie555 18:20 07 Jul 2014

Secret Squirrel Several people have recommended the BT Home Hub 5, If you agree which band should it be set to for upstairs wireless connection to 2 Tablet PCs? You mentioned a TP Link but not which model(s) Thank you Mike

Secret-Squirrel 08:44 08 Jul 2014

"Several people have recommended the BT Home Hub 5"

Get a Home Hub 5 then. Despite what "wee eddie" said in your first thread, I can't see how you as an ADSL customer is going to get one from BT for just the price of postage and packing - have a read here ( the word "here" is a hyperlink so click on it)

"You mentioned a TP Link but not which model(s)"

My post had a link in it - it's in a red and bold font like the one above.

roxie555 10:30 08 Jul 2014

Many thanks Secret Squirrel. Sorry I missed the link to TP routers - must get new glasses. I sense in your latest reply that you are not entirely convinced about the BT HH5. It is not that I doubt your recommendations but, as an aging technophobe to whom most of this technology is a mystery,I am simply trying to avoid buying something I don't really need. I appreciate the 802.11 AC standard is unnecessary at present as my laptop is not so enabled but as it appears to be backward compatible I was just thinking of future needs. One final question if I may....do routers with dual band technology automatically switch for optimum performance or is this a manual set-up? All your time and help has been very much appreciated. Mike

Secret-Squirrel 12:50 08 Jul 2014

Hello Mike

"......but, as an aging technophobe........"

In that case, get another Home Hub. If you buy a TP-Link, or any other third-party router, it'll require a certain amount of configuring such as adding the BT username and password. With a Home Hub you plug it in and it works.

Phone BT and explain your problem and hopefully they'll send you a Home Hub 4 for just £6.95. If you discover it's another rubbish router then you haven't lost much. The Home Hub 5 costs £129 on the BT website but personally I think you'd be off your head to pay that sort of money for such a device.

"....do routers with dual band technology automatically switch for optimum performance or is this a manual set-up?"

With the Home Hub 4 and 5 there's no setting up required and by default both bands have the same wireless-network name so devices only see a single network. If your laptop or tablet is also dual-band then it should automatically connect to the best band - 5Ghz for better performance if the device is very close to the router, or 2.4Ghz if it's further away such as upstairs.

roxie555 13:01 08 Jul 2014

Very good of you Secret Squirrel. I do appreciate your guidance. Best wishes. Mike

Secret-Squirrel 18:13 08 Jul 2014

You're very welcome Mike although I'm not sure I've helped much. My concern is that you're going to replace your crappy Home Hub with a different crappy Home Hub, but if it's only going to cost a few quid then it's worth a gamble as the new one may perform a lot better. As you appear to be reluctant because of your inexperience to try a third-party router then I've suggested all I can.

Best of luck with everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T to be sold on contract in UK from O2, EE and Vodafone

Adobe takes the limits off Typekit, renames to Adobe Fonts

Surface Laptop 2 vs MacBook Pro

Où acheter un Mac ?