windowsxp 64 trial software

goonerbill © ® 16:47 09 Sep 2005

has any body else seen this on microsofts website.

There is no fee for the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Trial Software kit; however, all orders are subject to shipping and handling charges. International orders may also be subject to import duties and taxes. If ordering from this site to a location outside of the United States, you are considered the importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the country/region in which you are receiving the shipment.

fair enough i thought. went to place my order but wanted to charge $20 s&h. now i have bought many things from the states and never been charged that for a single cd, couple of $$$ for p&p. they must pay there staff in the postal department one hell of a wage to have to charge this.

and yes it is available as a free download but at 550mb on dialup, it is not an option.

Stuartli 17:05 09 Sep 2005

How can there be any duties and taxes on a free item?

Teaboy 17:07 09 Sep 2005

$20 equates to only £10ish English. comming from the states seems very reasonable price! What?

Teaboy 17:08 09 Sep 2005

I take Stuartli's point also.

goonerbill © ® 17:41 09 Sep 2005

hi Teaboy. as i said, have bought quite a few items from the states and recently had an item delivered by airmail for $35 and its weight was 5 and a half pounds (2.5kg) approx. so what would have microsoft charged me ???

Lead 10:28 10 Sep 2005

You pay duty on the total cost of the item, i.e. including the shipping fee.

I recently took advantage of Microsoft's 'free' upgrade to 64bit. The software/cd was free, but shipping was $22, iirc. However, I wasn't charged any duty. I think it has to be over £18 before duty is charged anyway.

The Spires 15:26 10 Sep 2005

Leadm how have you gone on with it, & drivers etc?

Lead 17:10 18 Sep 2005

It's not been too bad really, considering all the scare stories.

I found drivers for my R800 printer and MX1000 mouse. But nothing for my canon scanner or logitech webcam yet.

It's not proving to be a problem though, as I hardly ever use my webcam and I have another PC to connect my scanner to. :)

The Spires 08:49 19 Sep 2005

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)