Why do I get Oct edition in the middle of August

rawprawn 13:52 17 Aug 2003

Can anyone give me an explanation as to why PC Advisor sends out the October edition of it's magazine in August.

rawprawn 15:07 17 Aug 2003

Well said,If they continue to keep gaining time at this rate if I die in December 2010, I shall have read all of 2011 issues before departing this earth. I suppose that is something to look forward to.

rawprawn 17:42 17 Aug 2003

Jester2K 11, that can't be right as there are only 12 months in a year & each issue is labled by month, ie October 2003. It surely can't be cash flow as most subscribe in advance, or is it?
My wife takes Woman & Home & that is always a month early, I think it peculiar to magazines in general, but not helpful or advantageous to the subscriber.

spuds 17:51 17 Aug 2003

It's all to do with the mind.Would you take a magazine off a newsagents shelf which had July on it, or take one that said October.Nothing like buying and reading out of date old news media.Think about it!.

Similar thoughts about pricing. Buy something for £4.99 instead of £5.00 and you have a bargain.That penny change always makes a difference.

Forum Editor 18:24 17 Aug 2003

to give you an explanation - the same one that's been given at least a dozen times before, and by now I'm sure that many people find it more boring than watching Graham Norton.

Some people have already posted the correct explanation anyway, it's to give the magazine a longer 'fresh' shelf-life in the Newsagents. Many periodical publications do it. It's a perfectly rational explanation - despite what some may say - and it works.

It doesn't really matter anyway does it? Surely there are more important things to worry about.

Stuartli 18:56 17 Aug 2003

Goodness, gracious me - not that old chestnut again...:-)

However, I've found one quite amusing error in the latest edition concerning the Ricoh Caplio G3S digital camera on page 30.

It's described as having a "super-fast shutter speed of 0.14 seconds (which) sets it apart from the crowd of budget digital cameras"...:-)

Now even my very first box camera - an Ensign Fulvue given to me around 1950 - offered a faster shutter speed than that, so I can only assume that the writer of this particular piece really meant that the Ricoh was ready for action in 0.14 seconds.

If this is true then it is worth highlighting...:-)

TOPCAT® 20:48 17 Aug 2003

'The consequence of this is that your annual subscription is no longer annual, but gets earlier each year.'

Exactly what my wife was quick to point out when I said my subscription was nearly out. She doesn't miss a trick when it comes to paying the bills!! :o) TC.

Stuartli 23:17 17 Aug 2003

I notice if you subscribe to PCA on a six monthly basis the cost is £10.99 but an annual one is £23.97!

rawprawn 07:48 18 Aug 2003

Thanks for all the imput, at least I now understand the reason. It may increase the shelf life of the magazine, but it does seem to incur a certain amount of irritation among regular subscribers, perhaps that's why it has become an "Old chestnut".

Stuartli 10:32 18 Aug 2003

The FE is most certainly not "conning newcomers to PCA" as you allege - it is standard magazine publishers' practice and for the reasons which have been very clearly stated.

If people don't have the intelligence to grasp what the reasoning is behind such a practice, then it is perhaps just as well that they are most unlikely to be working in the publishing world.

Stuartli 16:32 18 Aug 2003

It is not to cheat anyone, despite what you may think, but merely to maximise the potential selling period - simple commercial logic in what is a highly competitive field.

It also helps the newsagents who are likely to have fewer returns.

The car manufacturers do exactly the same thing, but on a longer time scale.

In the past the bulk of annual car sales were in August when the new prefix letter came into being; once those sales had been exhausted the following year's specification models were introduced in September/October to again provide a boost for sales.

Finally, your assumption that I have an interest in the publishing world is correct - I'm a retired evening newspaper journalist.....:-)

But I still understand exactly why monthly magazine publishers do what we are discussing above.....:-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Women and LGBT+ comic artists find a home with diverse publisher Avery Hill

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Keynote Apple : les iPhone XR, XS, XS Max et l'Apple Watch Series 4