Which notebook to buy?

Daibus 18:46 28 Dec 2005

What is the latest opinion on a good notebook to buy at the moment?

I live in Spain so only the larger manufacturers are really obtainable - Sony - Dell - HP - Acer - Asus for example.
If you scroll through the internet you see good and sometimes very bad opinions on nearly every manufacturer which is a touch confusing. You see a very good write up on a particular model then the next will say it's absolute c....

I am not really interested in gaming but want a fast machine with a solid build and a sharp bright screen and am interested in using it on my lap so maybe a 14.1 would be a good option. I like some of the Sony notebooks but maybe their build is a little suspect?

Many thanks for your advice.

ade.h 19:24 28 Dec 2005

It's got to be HP for me! Got this one two months ago click here

HP came joint second in PC Pro's Customer Survey this month, level with Sony and behind IBM/Lenovo.

I love the features, value for money, nice screen and build-quality.

Daibus 10:13 31 Dec 2005

Thank you ade.h and any more opinions out there?

Cheers.

J B 10:41 31 Dec 2005

It's HP for me also, however mine is a Pavilion, It is not all singing and dancing but the screen and keyboard are as good as you will get in my opinion. If I in time buy another one outside of HP, it eould have to be an Evesham. That said, before you buy check out the HP dv4000, and the zv6000 series laptops. They are very good value and have solid build quality. See click here

J B 10:42 31 Dec 2005

It's HP for me also, however mine is a Pavilion, It is not all singing and dancing but the screen and keyboard are as good as you will get in my opinion. If I in time buy another one outside of HP, it eould have to be an Evesham. That said, before you buy check out the HP dv4000, and the zv6000 series laptops. They are very good value and have solid build quality. See click here J.B.

J B 10:44 31 Dec 2005

Sorry for the double post. Don't know what happened, twitchy finger I guess. J.B.

Edward_Winsall 12:06 31 Dec 2005

No. The Sony Vaio pc is the best laptop i have ever used.

I have the new FS315E and this thing is so powerful and for the fracion of the price. With 1.73ghz, 512mb RAM, 80GB hard disc, DVD-RW-+, wirless lan, and a HIGH DEFINTION 15" 4' X Black display.

Dont buy dirct from Sony as prices are very expresive. Shop around.

Try: click here

Or: click here

Sorry HP laptop people, but that is way over priced, and is no were near to the quality of a Sony!

Hope this helps!

cyberphobic 12:52 31 Dec 2005

I was very fortunate in buying one of these click here on eBay, £421 and only 3 months old with 9 months warranty remaining! It performs superbly but what I love about it is the Bright Screen which is the best I've ever seen. 1.73 Centrino/80gb HDD/512MB RAM/WIFI is also an excellent spec.

tammer 13:31 31 Dec 2005

I can thoroughly recommend my Evesham Voyager C520. Check out their website as they've now got even better models for sale these days.

The Evesham Voyager was PC Advisor's no.1 choice for a power laptop for several months so I don't think I'm alone in recommending it.

I'm pretty sure they're better value than Sony, Dell or HP.

ade.h 14:06 31 Dec 2005

My model: click here

P-M750, DVD-RAM, 15.4", X600, DDR2. In fact, no weak spots at all. £915. I don't see how that is in any way overpriced. £25 less than the equivalent Sony, which is now discontinued. Less than an equivalent Dell. Evesham can compete well on price; build quality is not bad. Acer is good value on paper, but not very solid.

Daibus 18:21 31 Dec 2005

Thank you for your replies - one question I have regarding HP laptops - is the fan outlet on the bottom of the PC therefore making use on your lap a bit difficult?

Living here in Spain I have also just been eyeing this EasyNote R9400 Packard Bell laptop - the spec seems very good for the money - about £693.00

Mobile Intel® Pentium® M-740 (1.73 GHz)
RAM1024 MB RAM
80GB
CD-RW/DVD-RW(double layer)
Nvidia Geforce 6200
256MB Turbocache
15,4'Diamond View
1280 x 800 WXGA
Speakers+subwoofer & microphone
Fax/Data modem 56K/V.92
PCMCIA slots 1X Type II
FireWire1X IEEE 1394
TV out1X S-Video
Flash Memory 4-in-1 (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro)
Wi-Fi connectie IEEE 802.11 b/g WIFI
2 year Pick Up,Repair & Return

What is your opinion on the Nvidea graphic card but the price above would include one of 128MB not 256MB which would increase the price to around £900.00 - would that card be worth the extra money - and Packard Bell?

Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?