Which New Desktop Should I Choose?

harleyd 08:13 07 Sep 2014

Hi All. I think I'm about ready for a fresh desktop, but pretty much confused by whats on offer nowadays. I'm not particularly computer literate (early retired) but am a one man self employed business selling on eBay. I would like a fast responsive computer which can multi task easily in terms of editing pictures, uploading/downloading pictures thru a 1/3rd party, numerous e-mails etc etc. I'm not into videos, games & the likes - it would mainly be a working machine. I've hankered after some offers from John Lewis for example - Lenovo H530s Desktop PC, Intel Core i7, 12GB RAM, 1TB + 8GB SSD, Black

Is Lenovo any good? obviously it comes with Windows 8.1 - do I need to have a touch screen or can I use my existing screen? Or should I buy a package?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a little bit out of my depth here!

Any pointers would be appreciated as long as they're in plain English!

Many thanks

spuds 08:51 07 Sep 2014

I have a Lenovo G700 laptop, which for the manufacture I cannot fault, but Windows 8 is proving to be a bit of a bug-bear. To me Windows 7 is the better option, and some retailer's are still offering this option, including Argos.

With John Lewis you have the added advantage of a 'free' extended warranty, when other retailer's are offering this as an extra, usually at great cost.

Its a bit early yet, and there have been problems with this website, so perhaps someone will answer your questions more fully later?.

onthelimit1 15:43 07 Sep 2014

I've been buying Novatech PCs with no OS for lots of people locally. I then get a genuine W7 OS from Amazon (around £59) which everyone seems happy with. Incidentally, Novatech came out top on a recent Which! survey into PC suppliers.

And, no, I'm not connected to the company.

The Kestrel 16:38 07 Sep 2014

Although this PC from Argos has a core i5 processor it should be capable of doing all the things you have listed. The advantage is that it has a Windows 7 operating system which was not designed for use with a touch screen.

click here

harleyd 15:49 08 Sep 2014

Hi again. Thanks for your replies - just one last question - can I use Windows 8.1 with my existing non-touch screen, keyboard & mouse?

spuds 17:06 08 Sep 2014

"...can I use Windows 8.1 with my existing non-touch screen, keyboard & mouse?"

See no reason why you cannot.

I use one keyboard, one mouse connected to a KVM switch, working three computers with XP,W7,W8.

Woolwell 22:07 08 Sep 2014

"can I use Windows 8.1 with my existing non-touch screen, keyboard & mouse" - Yes.

harleyd 07:06 09 Sep 2014

OK. Thanks guys for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)