Which laptop to buy

User-76AF87BB-2F74-4A69-882E9BCF922A75DE 19:16 04 Mar 2004

Im looking to buy a laptop its mainly for business and music as i work in azerbaijan i need to use it to keep it in touch with my family.Any help i would be really grateful thank you my budget is about 800 to 1000 or whatever i need to get one that will suit this.Thanks

For starters, it will really depend of exactly what you want from a laptop - Power over portability or battery life over performance; screen size over weight or multimedia performace over battery lefe etc (you get the gist)

If you are wanting to use the laptop mostly on the plane while flying then with available power supply, battery life is not so important. If however, you are going to be using it in the "field" then you will need to sacrifice performance for longer battery life.

Also, if you just want basic word processing and email facilities then there are a lot of products available and well within your budget. If you want networking, built in wireless and the suchlike then your budget starts to look a little tight.

The best thing to do is to see the products for yourself. PC World (I shudder to mention) has a fairly good range on display and you can get a feel for them. As to brand names, a large number of laptops are made by the same few manufacturers and then simply "rebranded". Go with a firm you like a product you feel happy with.

byfordr 20:45 04 Mar 2004

click here light, fast...

mikef. 21:23 04 Mar 2004

I agree with byfordr I've just got a centrino from Novatech, a quality product at a quality price and quality service.

snowgood 22:54 04 Mar 2004

I've just started looking for a laptop too. After serching all the sites I could find, I keep going back to Tiny, they just seem cheaper than anyone else. I've heard they've had problems but specs seem vgood for the price. I can't find a centrino for less?

byfordr 00:06 05 Mar 2004

I would tend to stick to tried and tested brands. I remember the headaches friends have had in the past dealing with some brands. I know companies can change but I remain sceptical until they prove themselves.

Lord_Anubis 15:07 05 Mar 2004

As a customer of time I would suggest passing by on the tiny offers (being the same company and all).
My time traveller P4 2200 has caused me all manor of gip despide the specs.

After less than nine months my toshiba hard drive failed, time did replace the drive with the same model which has again (after another nine months) failed.

When i sent my laptop back not only did they replace the HDD with a seagate drive but they also identified a problem with the panasoinic CD-RW/DVD ROM and replaced it with a toshiba model.

To surmmise two hard drives and one optical drive have been written off; all according to time's vague discription, of due to "electrical fault".

I'm just bloody glad I folked out the ~£300 for warranty!

Lord_Anubis 15:08 05 Mar 2004

As a customer of time I would suggest passing by on the tiny offers (being the same company and all).
My time traveller P4 2200 has caused me all manor of gip despide the specs.

After less than nine months my toshiba hard drive failed, time did replace the drive with the same model which has again (after another nine months) failed.

When i sent my laptop back not only did they replace the HDD with a seagate drive but they also identified a problem with the panasoinic CD-RW/DVD ROM and replaced it with a toshiba model.

To surmmise two hard drives and one optical drive have been written off; all according to time's vague discription, of due to "electrical fault".

I'm just bloody glad I folked out the ~£300 for warranty!

JerryJay 16:48 05 Mar 2004

Rozzaldo, there are so many to chose, but you need to answer a few questions first.

(1) Weight, does it matter to you? It varying from 1Kg to 4.8Kg, most in the region of 2Kg to 3.4Kg

(2) Screen size, 15" or 14" or 12"

(3) Do you want to play high graphics intensive game?

(4) Do you have your own application software?

JerryJay 16:49 05 Mar 2004

one more question

If you are worry about reliability, may be better to get one with International Warrenty such as Toshiba, you can get a decent Toshiba with your busget.

JerryJay 16:55 05 Mar 2004

As suggested by byfordr, Centrino 1.5GHz on novatech will suit you well
click here (middle one)

For truely portable business laptop, the best one is SHARP PC-MM1110 (0.95Kg) £1099.99 from pcworld click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)