Which Laptop?

richdeniro 23:39 23 Aug 2005

I have recently decided upon two laptops that fall between my £750-£800 budget and am going to buy one of them tomorrow I think, although I cannot pick between the two - perhaps you guys can help:

[url=click here][u]Aspire 5021WLMi TurionML28 1.6Ghz 512MB 100GB[/u][/url]

I would get a Ram upgrade to 1gb so dont let the fact that the other one has more Ram sway you.

Price £744.95 spread over interest free buy now pay May 2006 deal.

or

[url=click here][u]Pavilion zv6179EA Athlon[/u][/url]

Price £765.95 spread over interest free buy now pay May 2006 deal.

So what do you reckon?

Completealias 03:44 24 Aug 2005

OK the acer model looks like it has dedicated graphics memory and is not system shared whereas the hp model is shared graphics memory.

The turion chips are aimed as a rival to the pentium m chips from what I can see and so should offer you better battery life and a lighter notebook making for a more mobile beast, the athlon chip is aimed for a desktop replacement laptop.

Of the two, given that you said you was going to upgrade the RAM i'd go for the Acer. I think what swung it for me was the graphics chip in the acer given that it has dedictated memory.

Completealias 03:46 24 Aug 2005

OK the acer model looks like it has dedicated graphics memory and is not system shared whereas the hp model is shared graphics memory.

The turion chips are aimed as a rival to the pentium m chips from what I can see and so should offer you better battery life and a lighter notebook making for a more mobile beast, the athlon chip is aimed for a desktop replacement laptop.

Of the two, given that you said you was going to upgrade the RAM i'd go for the Acer. I think what swung it for me was the graphics chip in the acer given that it has dedictated memory.

JYPX 21:14 24 Aug 2005

I hope you took the good advice and bought the Acer. You will love it. The new edition of Personal Computer World has a review of this model's bargain priced sibling, the 3022 WLMI in a group test and it "trounces the opposition". The only feature I don't rate is the Acer Cinema software for DVD playback. Get hold of WinDVD 6 or 7 for stunning movie quality.......

Lodgeman 10:09 22 Oct 2005

I have an Acer travelmate 8006 lmi had it for just over 1 year, had memory problems and the support from Acer is NON existent so if you have anything go wrong don't hold your breathe. Even paying for the upgraded warranty brings no help. They do not answer emails or telephone calls but keep you on hold making money out of you on the 0870 number. The machines are good but the company is not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?