Which Freeview set up box?

rickf 09:21 18 Sep 2010

My Philips box has died after 8 years. Looking for a new one next week when I am in London. What have you got and is it any good? Thinking of another Philips but would like experience of other brands. Thanks

chub_tor 09:49 18 Sep 2010

I am a Humax fan, started with their basic set-top box many years ago, then changed to their Freeview PVR version (which I still have and use in the bedroom) and now have their FreeSat recordable version for HD. Check to see if Freeview HD is available in your area as I think that is a better option, unfortunately it doesn't get to my part of the West Country untio 2015.

Humax website click here

rickf 11:54 18 Sep 2010

Thanks, I have been considering the Humax but they are expensive. I just want a basic but reliable one.Humax does not seem to make one w/o HD etc., Just want to wtach digital sometimes, especially News 24, Fiver. Five USA etc.,

rickf 11:58 18 Sep 2010

On 2nd thought maybe it's worth the investment given the reviews

100andthirty 16:55 18 Sep 2010

Try TVonics

click here

dms_05 12:11 19 Sep 2010

I assume your TV is not widescreen or recent (as they all come with Freeview tuners nowadays). If you are considering a new TV with HD capability them the HD Freeview box is a serious solution, if you aren't them an HD box is expensive!

Humax are OK. I have a Humax 9300 PVR and that gives a reasonable picture (not as good as the Freeview tuner in my TV but acceptable).

Or just buy a £20 Freeview tuner from Tesco/ASDA etc. They will last a few years and at £20 aren't expensive!

rickf 16:23 19 Sep 2010

Thanks folks for all the replies. I have a wide screen LCD TV but no Freeview. Bought 2/3 yrs ago and technology changed since then. Wide screens with Freeviews were very expensive then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs