What Notebook?

SteevScotland 19:12 21 Nov 2003

I will be in the market for a cheap notebook around christmas. But I have no idea what to look for. I can spend £1000 max and preferably a lot less. I liked the look of the best buy budget notenook in the jan issue of the magazine ( click here ) but cant find it on the toshiba website.
Any suggestions?

Cheers S

StephShadow 19:25 21 Nov 2003

what will you use it for? Will you use it mainly on the move, or in one location, do you want a wireless one, does it have to very light, how fast, is it for gaming, watching videos or Office apps? etc etc. John Lewis website does a 'guide to choosing a laptop' which while a bit out of date, covers the basic questions. I found you can get quite a lot of choice for around 1,000 - and spent a week researching the options! I asked on this site "Who makes the best laptops?" and no-one replied. I trust established and recognised brands so I bought a Toshiba and warrantied it up to the max. How long do you want your laptop to last? - is a good question!

SteevScotland 21:25 21 Nov 2003

I plan to use the laptop both on the move and at home. I would like it to be light but it doesn't have to be super light. I probably would be using it mainly for office apps, surfing the net occasional light gaming and maybe watching the odd DVD. Wireless Would certainly be a bonus as i plan to set up a wireless network at home to share my broadband connection between computers.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 23:20 21 Nov 2003

what about

click here

Cheers S

SteevScotland 23:44 21 Nov 2003

or

click here

or

click here

Cheers S

StephShadow 23:45 21 Nov 2003

Of course that is the other brand to trust! Looks like a reasonable price too...I bow to the superior knowledge of other PCA forum members - where are they in this thread?

StephShadow 23:49 21 Nov 2003

That's the IBM Thinkpad I meant. Also I was steered away from the Celeron, not robust enough, go for the P4.

andrew-216448 19:57 22 Nov 2003

why not try looking at the multivision notebooks. they have good spec notebooks for less than a thousand quids.

Sir Radfordin 23:38 22 Nov 2003

Weight is the one thing that splits laptops up. You either go for around the 2kg mark or the +3.5kg mark. Believe me you won't want to carry 3.5kg around with you very often.

Unlike desktops, laptop technology is more sophisticated and expensive. There are only a few companies who actually build them - the rest rebadge them.

Names that were included in my last shortlist were Sony, Mesh, Samsung, Evesham, IBM, Dell and Elonex.

If I could afford to I would by Dell time and again. I can't so I choose someone else. Just bought a Samsung X05 so hopefully it'll be up to the job.

Cheapest place I've found so far to laptops is Technoworld - click here They do seem to know their stuff.

SteevScotland 00:38 23 Nov 2003

Well I would prefer the lighter laptops if possable. I would rather have small and light rather than big and powerfull. I have my desktop for that. Having said that it would be good if the laptop lasted me the next 3 years or so. May buy second hand.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 01:15 27 Nov 2003

I know any of these above the MHz version is above my budget but how good are these? The size would be perfect because i would be able to shove it in my bag and take it to uni.

click here

How well would this laptop perform doing the tasks i want? These are internet word processing and the occasional editing of photos using paint shop pro. I also would like to play Mp3 now and again.

Cheers S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?