What Laptop to Buy For Coreldraw?

JunoApollo 10:05 27 Sep 2015

At the moment I'm using a Sony Vaio, Core i5 with Windows 7. I do admit that I usually have several other programs on the go at the same time as Coreldraw, as well as 8 or 10 webpages open in Chrome. But that's how I NEED it to be for what I do on a daily basis. The Vaio, although it's supposed to be one of the better machines, just can't seem to handle it. So many programs crash, and Coreldraw is slow. I know that CD has issues of its own outside of the actual laptop, but even when I don't have CD open, I still have problems. Any suggestions on which laptop to get? I pretty much need a workhorse. All answers welcome, thanks :)

HondaMan 11:02 28 Sep 2015

I suspect that your problem lies with the amount of memory you have. I am running CD X7 on a Mac with no problems whatsoever, despite dire warnings from Corel.

JunoApollo 17:53 28 Sep 2015

Thanks for the answer :) It's got 4GB, what would you recommend I increase it to?

HondaMan 18:11 28 Sep 2015

It depends on your motherboard. crucial.com offer a scanner which will determine how much memory and what speed memory your computer can take. Be advised by them, but I suspect 4GB will be the max in which case you will have to manage with fewer open windows or buy a computer with, I would suggest at least 12GB

Forum Editor 19:11 28 Sep 2015

"I pretty much need a workhorse"

You don't mention a budget, but take a look at this I think it fits the bill.

You can spend a lot more, and if you want to explore further post to that effect, and i'll make other suggestions - we're talking in excess of £1000, and up to £2000.

JunoApollo 21:55 28 Sep 2015

Thanks guys. The Acer looks like a good job. Currys are doing the 16GB for a good price, so I'll take a race in there tomorrow. I'll check out crucial.com too to see where I stand right now anyways. But I do reckon a new machine is the way to go. Thanks again :)

Forum Editor 23:24 28 Sep 2015

PC World currently have the 16Gb version on offer for £699.99 with a £70 cashback voucher which effectively brings it down to £629.99. It's a serious bargain at that price, but the offer is only available until 30th September.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)