what do i need to buy?

  manrik 09:11 12 Jan 2005

we have two pcs in the house,one is on tiscali
broadband adsl,the other is on freeserve dial up.
i want to join them together via the tiscali broadband but not sure what i need to buy. i want
to use wireless connection.have been told linkseys is good i dont think i have network cards installed in the pcs.

many thanks eagle

  Chezdez 09:42 12 Jan 2005

you'll need one router, and an NIC (network interface card) in each computer
if you really want to go wireless, theres a lot of things to consider first.
do you have a microwave oven in your house? if you do, it is liable to cause interference if you get a wireless network which works by the 802.11b standard (2.4GHz). the same applies to any bluetooth devices you have in your house, or near by for that matter. as for the network cards, I highly doubt that you'll have wireless NIC's installed already, so you'll need to buy and install those. just make sure that all the equipment that you buy works on the same frequency (802.11g should be fine, but can someone confirm that please, i'm not entirely sure). as for the AP (access point), the router/hub will most probably have the AP on it (click here i think that should work fine for the AP/router)

how old are the computers? if they are relatively new, theres a good chance they will have an ethernet port already in there, which will make setting up a wired network a lot easier. as for setting up a wired network, you'll need a router/modem/hub (most commonly you'll find it is a 4 port hub). bare in mind that you will need a crossover cable running between the router and the PC's (if your not sure what this means, i'll post again explaining)

hope this helps

if i've missed anything, someone correct me please, i'm still pretty new to this, and this seems likes a good place to check if my knowledge is correct before i make a really big mistake :S

  jerichobob 10:24 12 Jan 2005

The wireless solution will be fine if you go for the later (g) standard. The easiest system to set-up is probably the BT2100 and you can buy a kit in PC World - 1 ADSL Modem Router and 2 PCI cards - for £129.99. This has the potential for up to 14 computers being attached to the network, 10 wireless and 4 via ethernet ports. It also has a built in firewall for security.

There are cheaper systems out there which will do the same job and many people on these forums will point you in there direction. These may not be quite so easy to get up and running though.

Once you have the router and your 2 computers set-up and running it is very easy to add another system to the network, and you DO NOT need to buy the same manufacturers cards. Just ensure that they are the same 802.11g standard for data transfer speed maintainance.

Hope this helps.


  bfoc 10:53 12 Jan 2005

I have a .11b wireless network and a microwave, with no problems at all! (Shouldn't microwaves be contained in the oven?)

My student daughter also has an .11b network and a microwave oven, again no problems.

.11g should be backwardly compatible with .11b.

Also whilst it is quite true that mixing routers and NIC from different manufacturers should work, most reviews seem to show that it is generally easier and produces better connections to use the same manufacturer where possible.

  TomJerry 11:51 12 Jan 2005

wireless is more expensive, wired solution will cost you about £40, once you make the choice, other people will suggest suitable gears for you to buy

  spuds 13:09 12 Jan 2005

If you have access to a PC World store, then have a browse at their networking kits, which may give you a better idea as to costs and products suitability. Come back here again for final information if required, before you make the purchase.

  TomJerry 14:01 12 Jan 2005

A (£21.96): ad-hoc net for this setup, the second PC access net via the first PC, you need two usb wireless sticks

802.11b 11Mbps USB Stick £10.98 each click here

Install software come with stick and then plug in stick (for any usb device, install software before connect), run windows network wizard to set up network. Then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" in the PC connect to net (you can find the instruction by searching windows' help). Then everything is done, if you need further help, lookup homenethelp click here

B: Infructure network: for this you need a wireless router with modem build-in in additional to stuff you got in A. For this set up, both PC access net independently via a router (by the way you need to throw away crap usb modem you got).
ADSL Modem w/ USB and Ethernet Ports £50.99 click here

  Chezdez 22:58 12 Jan 2005

bfoc wrote
" I have a .11b wireless network and a microwave, with no problems at all! (Shouldn't microwaves be contained in the oven?)

My student daughter also has an .11b network and a microwave oven, again no problems. "

a lot of people won't have problems, but there is the possibilty, believe me, that info came straight out of the CISCO CCNA 1 & 2 book, which i'm studying ;)

using 802.11g won't have the microwave problem though, as they operate on the 5GHz frequency

  manrik 00:08 13 Jan 2005

thank you every one who replied to my questions
on broadband and backing up games.take care from manrik........thank you

  TomJerry 00:08 13 Jan 2005

microwave use the similar frequency range as moble phone (900MHz in Europe and 1800MHz in US). So it is far from wireless network's frequency range.

Now you know your brain will be cooked when you use mobile phonevery often.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

How Social Media has Propelled Political Graphic Design and Art in the Last Decade

The best kids apps for iPhone & iPad 2018

HomePod d’Apple : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique