WHAT BEST TO BUY

HOLLIE 12:28 15 Jan 2005

I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT COMPUTERS,HAD THIS ONE 4YRS THINKING ABOUT BUYING NEW ONE OR UPGRADING MINE IS PENTIUM3 700MHZ 128RAM 10GB BUT SINCE WE GOT BROADBAND AOL(SILVER) COMPUTER HAS SLOWED DOWN AND ALWAYS JAMMING.IT IS MAINLY USED BY MY DAUGHTER FOR HOMEWORK ETC INTERNET AND PLAYING GAMES SO WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST SPEC TO HAVE AND MOST ECONOMICAL WAY

Starfox 12:42 15 Jan 2005

From the specifications of your present pc I should think that new will be better than upgrading.What sort of games does daughter play? this will make a difference as to what you may need.

By the way it's best not use capital letters, it's considered as shouting.

Regards Starfox.

HOLLIE 12:48 15 Jan 2005

she mainly plays games such as the sims,but has a wide range of other games that she sometime plays.

Starfox 13:01 15 Jan 2005

We all have differing opinions as to what makes a good pc but here are a few ideas to look at.

I can recommend these for quality gaming pc's click here

click here

And these for something more basic click here

Starfox 13:04 15 Jan 2005

Try this for estimating you requirements click here

Kate B 01:00 18 Jan 2005

One thought, Hollie - I notice you say that since you got broadband the machine has been slowing down and jamming: do you have a firewall? If you've been on broadband without protection from a firewall, updated antivirus and the assorted excellent free anti spyware tools, your PC could be full of rubbish ranging from the merely annoying to the downright sinister - and that could well be the cause of your problems.

Also, what games are your daughter playing? If they're free ones downloaded from the internet, she could have unknowingly downloaded all kinds of potentially computer-trashing stuff with them. My mum had one free card game that was riddled with crud - her old laptop improved no end after I cleaned it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)