web host problems

fwolproofreader 16:38 31 Jul 2003

Has anyone else suffered the problems I am experiencing with oneandone.co.uk? I registered a domain name and bought their Home&Leisure home package, and paid up front by credit card.They advertsied £400 free software with the package: NetObjectsFusion 7.0, PhotoImpact 8SE and Hello Engines.I got the licence numbers online, but have never received the software, now 6 weeks has passed, despite emails and 4 phone calls,once hanging on for customer services for 12 minutes then giving up. Each time I have spoken to someone in a department (customer services, IT and once in desperation, Sales),they say it is coming or has been despatched (from Germany the day before - one and a half weeks ago). I am now fed up trying to get somewhere with oneandone and intend cancelling my package and demanding a refund of the £90 odd paid (which they took immediately but could not deliver the free software promised!).I am a freelancer working from home and wanted to get my site up and running for my business. Any suggestions would be welcome.

pj123 17:51 31 Jul 2003

Haven't tried 1&1 but have tried easyspace, and freeola. both useless. don't like companies who offer all these "extras" and then can't deliver.
I now use a local hosting service which costs £90 per year but at least I can upload and download to my website any time I like, also they are always on the end of a telephone line if you need them. the site is click here Ask for Jan pronounced yan, tell them peter sent you

rupie 23:19 31 Jul 2003

I too am freelance and have made my own site. it is held on my ISP server. This is a company called netscalibur. They are a commercial ISP and so do not have hundreds of kids on line all evening and weekend slowing the server down. For additional costs I could have lots of extra failsafe protection, although the site has never been down in 4 years !!! They host the site for nothing, although The site is designed for viewing and I do not use it to directly trade from(you can only view and e mail me). I can update it as oftern as i like and it was all programmed in frontpage. It does not have to fit a format, like Freeserve. I have a domain name registered with someone else(names123) and the only charge is thet they charge me a small fee of £15 a year to redirect people, who type on my website, to the site on the server. You would not know any different if you were a normal punter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)