Warning about Netbooks

ventanas 22:12 22 Dec 2008

Just read this article click here in the news section of this site, and must say that I agree with almost none of it.
I've got two of these Netbooks and both have installed a full AV Suite and all the usual antispyware apps, contrary to what the article claims. Also to claim that they are capable of running only a handful of modest applications is ludicrous. OK, they have no optical drive, but all that is necessary is to copy any install files from a CD to a pen drive and carry on.
Mine have a full version XP Home, 1.6HHz processor, 1Gb memory, 120Gb hdd, WiFi and webcam.
You would have been lucky to get this on a desktop not so long ago.
But one thing I can agree with, these will be a constant worry when used commercially, am IT manager's nightmare I would think.

Grey Goo 22:43 22 Dec 2008

Do you have the Samsung NC10 by any chance I was thinking of purchasing one.

Forum Editor 22:47 22 Dec 2008

from Speakers Corner.

ventanas 10:37 23 Dec 2008

No, two Advent 4490's

The only drawback, as far as I'm concerned, is the out of date OS. There does need to be a bit of processor and memory catch up before Vista could be considered, but it may not be too long, at which point I will replace them, Vista being far superior to XP.

Curio 18:50 23 Dec 2008

Bought the wife a Samsung NC10 a few weeks ago. Well impressed with a really good keyboard. She is happy and it is kitted up with An Office Suite, Anti Virus, Antispyware and Firewall.

Grey Goo 00:04 24 Dec 2008

Thanks for info.

GaT7 01:52 24 Dec 2008

I took the article as mostly a warning for non-tech/non-security minded users who use LOW-specified netbooks with XP on them, & who might think adding any potentially resource-hungry application is likely to slow it down even further. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?