Virtual PC 2004 verus VMWare workstation

oscar cat 21:15 10 Apr 2004

anybody used this software, any recomendations as to which is most user friendly, using xp pro - celeron 1.7 - 512 ram - 200 gig hard drive

Giant68 08:01 12 Apr 2004

I don't know about Virtual PC 2004 but I have been using VMware for a while now and find it quite straight forward and reasonably user friendly.

Giant68

oscar cat 08:12 12 Apr 2004

Thank you for your observations, i have tried the demo version of vmworkstation but could not get programs like nero to work any experience of this?

Giant68 08:22 12 Apr 2004

Could be just the fact that it is a demo. I run VMWare with WIN98, 2000, Redhat 9.0 and Lindows 4.5 as workstations, handy when someone phones up and wants help with an o/s. Ive found a 98 workstation handy as I have an Archery Scores softwrae package that will not run under XP and my fellow archers will use me for target practice if I do not record their scores and set their handicaps. Set up of a workstation can be a little fiddly and I've found that the version I have will only recognise drives on the primary ide channel. But everything else seems to ok and quite straight forward.

Pauper 11:36 12 Apr 2004

I have tried a demo version of Virtual PC 2004 from the MS site and gave up after it took over 4 hours to load win 98 and similar timescales for other programs. It was so slow at running applications that I could not justify replacing my second pc with it so gave up and took it off. VMware - never tried that one. (This is on a P4 with 768mb ram - win XP Pro)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?