Using a treadmill for a disabled person?

compumac 09:42 03 Mar 2018

I have a disabled daughter who walks with the aid of a stick/walking frame and she does fall easily if not using a stick or the walker.

I just wonder as to the use of a basic treadmill as an aid to walking as well as for general exercise. Any views out there from anybody with a similar scenario?

Housten 12:57 22 Mar 2018

Morning, compumac, I was diagnosed as needing a triple bypass and was told I had to do some 2 miles a day. That was last December and out walking was very cold, so I bought a treadmill from Tesco's which was less that £155 and have used virtually every day since. it has speeds of 1 to 10 kph and is horizontal at all times. Speed is set manually and can be changed whilst walking.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Jonathan Dews 13:08 17 May 2018

Hi. I am looking for the same sort of thing as I have a neurological condition,Friedrich's Ataxia, which affects my balance. I have just come across a treadmill which might be suitable (see link below). It is expensive but might be worth it click here

Jonathan Dews 13:17 17 May 2018

P.S. Have just found this much cheaper option. I found it by googling 'rehabilitation treadmill' click here

wee eddie 13:55 17 May 2018

Jonathan: Unless you are totally housebound, you might like to think of this.

The lower priced treadmill would pay for a more than a years Membership to one of the national Fitness Clubs which usually have a swimming bath as well. Local Council Baths and Fitness Clubs are frequently cheaper

I am member of the local branch of Bannantynes and pay about £40 each month. They have a 20 metre swimming pool as well as all the usual Gym Machines. They have frequent Membership offers and might allow you a trial period, to see if it suits you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Digital humans aren't just possible - they're essential in today's top games

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les meilleures boîtes mails gratuites