Using a treadmill for a disabled person?

compumac 09:42 03 Mar 2018

I have a disabled daughter who walks with the aid of a stick/walking frame and she does fall easily if not using a stick or the walker.

I just wonder as to the use of a basic treadmill as an aid to walking as well as for general exercise. Any views out there from anybody with a similar scenario?

BRYNIT 22:49 03 Mar 2018

"However their treadmills are for the fit people and not suitable for her to even to try."

Gym treadmills are similar to CLICK HERE and have hand rails to the sides and hand grips at the front to help support a person who needs the extra support and can go at a very slow speed and are not just for the fit person. If the treadmills at the gym are not suitable for your daughter, I doubt any treadmill would not be. Might be an idea to find out why the gym treadmill is not suitable.

compumac 09:30 04 Mar 2018

BRYNIT

It is MY opinion that the Gym treadmills are not suitable as they are positioned too close to each other such that a helper (who would need to be at hand) would not be able to assist in the event of a possible fall and when she does fall, - she falls very heavily. Daughter does have also have limited two hands use and the motorised units would require some button pressing to stop and start which would not be safe for her. As said it would be for home use as and when required.

Nevertheless, I thank you for your input

compumac 09:41 04 Mar 2018

Archie44

My main interest is, perhaps the treadmill, but certainly the Gym Chair is thought provoking.

Thank you.

Ventad 18:50 04 Mar 2018

My wife had problems with her legs we purchased an electric tread mill and after about six months sold it and we have put it behind us, we walked over the cliffs ,over the hills and country side and have now a dog and are out in all weathers over the cliffs walking the dog, and we are in our 70’s

Ventad 19:00 04 Mar 2018

By the way it was never used as a running machine only as a walking ,very slow at first and very slowly stepping it up. It had the safety cord which tied to the wrist would stop the machine if she could not carry on.

compumac 19:11 04 Mar 2018

Ventad

Thanks for input. I do not think that we would consider an electric treadmill despite there being a cut-out in the event of falling.

The unit would have to be used with the hands gripping the handles/bar at all times.

Aitchbee 19:12 04 Mar 2018

Just a thought and no disrespect, if only they had these for injured humans.

click here

Ventad 19:40 04 Mar 2018

Compumac,

Sorry should have said it had handles was purchased-from argos and I was able to stand by the machine and increase or decrease the walking speed manually on the buttons and if need be hold her arm whilst in operation, the safety cord was for any emergencies if she stopped walking it would stop immediately. It really could go very slow and did get my wife walking again. We have never looked back it was a very good purchase of course not knowing your Daughters total symptoms that is all I could say.

wee eddie 23:15 04 Mar 2018

I still wonder whether practicing walking in a swimming pool might be the best point to start. The water carries most of the body's weight

Jodakist 16:17 19 Mar 2018

I have peripheral Neuropathy, which limits my mobility. I bought an electric treadmill which I use daily at home. It has several different settings but I just use the one speed of 1km/hr, this is just enough for my daily exercise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)