USB Hubs?

Sir Radfordin 12:43 21 Nov 2003

I'm going to need to run the following off a laptop with only 2 USB ports:

1x Scanner (Canon Lide 20)
1x Printer (HP 5652)
1x Wireless Keyboard/Mouse (likey to be Logitech)
1x Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem

So a USB Hubs sounds like the best course of action. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Laptop has XP Pro and I'm not fussed about USB2.0 though if its there its future proof.

A_World_Maker 13:05 21 Nov 2003

this might help click here

Big Elf 13:45 21 Nov 2003

If you live in the UK then send me an email with your address. I have a 5 port USB 1.1 hub which I no longer need as I replaced it with a USB 2.0 hub recently.

Sir Radfordin 16:28 21 Nov 2003

Thanks for the link and sent you a message Big Elf.

Forum Editor 18:10 21 Nov 2003

I have a similar problem with my laptop - although I do have one more port than you. I advise a self-powered hub, even though it means lugging a transformer and cable around, because the Alcatel modem is a real power hog. If you try to use a hub that takes it's USB power from the laptop you'll probably hit the same problem I had - frequent and unannounced USB outages.

I let the Alcatel have its own port, and run a 5 port Belkin hub. I have a printer, scanner, and ZIP drive on the hub, and a USB memory module on the remaining port - everything works well.

If you're in the mood for a bit of advanced technology, and your budget runs to it you could let Bluetooth into your life. The new Logitech Bluetooth wireless keyboard/hub/mouse combination is the best looking bit of kit I've seen in a long time, and it works flawlessly. I've been using one for a week, and I'm hooked - if this keyboard combination is anything to go by Bluetooth is a hands down winner. The hub recognised my Bluetooth phone with hardly any intervention from me, and soon I was seeing my text messages on my laptop - sending them from there too.

Worth a look?

Sir Radfordin 18:15 21 Nov 2003

Worth a look? Yes but unfortunatly I know it's a no this time round!

The purchasing has been done by a Charity and it won't go down too well if I spend more money (Thanks Big Elf!)

Was aware of the problems with the power via USB especailly as the Canon scanner doesn't have its own supply.

However, the hub is going to effectivly be a docking station as it will mean only one USB cable to plug in when at the desk and not several.

Bluetooth would be nice, but need to be realistic! If money was no object the laptop would've had bluetooth, as would the printer, scanner and mobile phone but thats another world!

Big Elf 18:56 21 Nov 2003

Unfortunately the hub I'm sending is not a powered hub but you could use one of your existing USB ports for the modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?