USB 3.0 VS USB USB-C device. Which one to buy?

Georges Doublé 14:02 06 Dec 2016

I need to buy a USB(male) to HDMI (female) adapter because my HDMI port on laptop died recently. My Thunderbolt port is 3.0, so I found two possible solutions for my problem:

1.USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter 2.USB-C to HDMI adapter

I would like to buy the latter one because of the obvious price difference, but I am a bit confused by some articles I read on the matter. I don't understand if C-type USB fits in and works well with USB 3.0 port? If it does, then why there is such a big price difference, favoring an older version of USB? Will USB-C to HDMI adapter make the trick and let me use external monitor?

Jollyjohn 16:09 06 Dec 2016

USB c is a different type of connector therefore will not fit USB3 socket. Also the first item is a converter not just an adapter hence the price difference.

Georges Doublé 18:44 06 Dec 2016

Correction: first link is wrong one, here is correct USB 3.0 to HDMI

Georges Doublé 18:49 06 Dec 2016

Thanks fir the reply, it clarified a lot. One more question, will gaming still be a thing with adapter? and what price range would be best to mitigate possible flaws?

Jollyjohn 15:33 07 Dec 2016

Reading the blurb it says "3D gaming not recommended" I have a question, why do you need to use an external monitor with your laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch