TV card internal V's external

field divison 12:23 10 Mar 2006

Hi all,
I want to buy a tv card for my pc, I need help as I have never had any dealing with this type of card before, is USB better than PCI/AGP, All I want to do is to be able to watch programmes in bed..so I dont need anything to technical like recording etc..any recommendations would be a great help..

Thanks..

Jdoki 14:31 10 Mar 2006

I use an external USB device. I chose it as I needed the PCI slots for other cards, so it made sense.

I am very impressed with the quality and features. I bought a Leadtek USB Deluxe II or something similar sounding to that (at work and can't remember the exact model name)!

Stuartli 17:58 10 Mar 2006

An internal TV card uses a PCI slot - AGP is for a graphics card.

If you have spare PCI slots available then the internal type will probably produce better results display wise.

I use a Twinhan Freeview DTB-ter Digial + Analogue (D+A) PCI TV card which can receive Freeview and terrestial TV and radio stations, plus FM radio, and is also HD compatible.

Twinhan also produces a straightforward Freeview version (i.e. no facilities to import games console and VCR signals for example) in the DVB-ter. It can be used with a modest CPU.

Other companies produce similar cards, of course, but they tend to be a little more expensive.

Stuartli 17:59 10 Mar 2006

Both cards also feature software that allows them to be used in PVR form.

bfoc 08:09 11 Mar 2006

An external usb device which is this one:

click here

It picks up both analogue and digital signals - the only downside, particularly for bedroom watching, is the lack of a remote control.

The advantage of USB for me was that it can be used in any of our computers.

I did have, in my previous desktop, an ATI All in Wonder graphic card which had TV 'built-in' and found that excellent, but when I tried an ATI based Theatre Pro card in my existing machine it caused major problems and had to be sent back.

Dellman 15:53 11 Mar 2006

You may want to follow this thread....a few good deals too!!

click here

Diodorus Siculus 16:55 11 Mar 2006

Amazon.co.uk: Freecom Digital TV DVB-T USB Stick Freeview receiver, black: Electronics & Photo
click here

field divison 10:29 14 Mar 2006

Thanks guys for your great feedback,however I left work early on Friday and never got a chance until now to read the comments that was left,anyway I bought which suits me I think(will wait and see when I plug it up)a PcLine tv1000 click here
Would using a Dscaler improve picture quality on this card or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks

rmcqua 12:53 14 Mar 2006

Pity you didn't wait to review the comments, field division. I have never had a PC Line product with which I was satisfied (and I've had a few). I just hope that you are more fortunate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)