TFT DVI Monitor - To Buy or Not To Buy?

caplock 14:59 05 Jan 2006

Looking at buying a new TFT,17" or 19" monitor,primarily for excellent gaming viewing.
From what I can understand,I will need a response rate of less than 12m/s.
However,is DVI an essential requirement,or is it something I will need in a years time?
Price range available appx upto £220.
Thanks.

rmcqua 15:24 05 Jan 2006

Hi caplock,
I have recently bought a Samsung 19" TFT with 4ms refresh rate around your budget price and I have to say that I am absolutely delighted with it. Because my graphics card has DV, I am using it in digital mode but to be quite honest I cannot tell the difference when I switch to analogue. Having said that, maybe if I used it for high speed gaming (which I don't) I would notice a difference. I guess some of the serious gamers out there will be able to comment.

g0nvs 18:03 05 Jan 2006

Go with DVI, you may need to change your graphic card in the future and most cards these days have DVI connections. I can't see much diference with DVI on my LG 17" other than to say graphics are superb.

redmark 19:34 05 Jan 2006

As I've read recently, most manufacturers have started using a different system to calculate the response time, which has the bonus for them of being able to claim 4ms-8ms for a monitor that previously would be rated at 16ms-25ms... Not sure it really matters though; I've also read that anything around 25ms or under is effectively good enough, depending on graphics cards, as the human eye isn't really capable of differentiating between 25ms and 8ms. Personally, I have no idea...

There's no point in NOT buying DVI now, as far as I can see. Using analogue output is forcing a digital graphics card to convert the signal to analogue (DA), to pass to a monitor that then converts back to a native digital display (AD). The DA-AD conversions inevitably lead to some (however tiny) degradation in quality and performance. DVI removes any conversion; digital-digital-digital.

PCW are selling a stunning-looking glass-panelled 19in Xerox XA7-192i for £240 at the moment; about £30-£40 cheaper than I can see it on the web. With a pair of 6600GTs (not exactly cutting edge) in SLi mode, Rome Total War is graphically stunning and lag-free with every setting at the highest quality possible, 1280x1024.

caplock 14:25 06 Jan 2006

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated.

rtstar 07:03 12 Jan 2006

Come with both analogue and dvi and 12ms response. Bought mine from http:click here and they have the Xerox screens as well, cheaper that PC world.

rmcqua 11:36 12 Jan 2006

Although the Ag Nuevo is a bit cheaper than the Samsung 930BF, neither its response time nor contrast ratio are as good. If you can afford it, I would go for the Samsung.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?