Telephone Preference Service

Cara2 18:54 04 Feb 2005

I registered both our business and home telephone numbers with the TPS.

Our business continues to receive unsolicited calls regardless.

I seem to have received more calls! I am ex-directory.

Some calls appear to have originated from one company who have passed on our details to another. Looking at the original form I signed, I realise I omitted to 'tick the box' regarding my info being passed on.

My question is, having obtained my details another company, are they then still obliged to check the TPS before they call? Or does the fact that I have not ticked the box mean they can call even though I am registered?

spuds 19:47 04 Feb 2005

I think that you may find that TPS are only a voluntary scheme, and they have no official legality. Those who sign-up, will respect the code of practice, those that don't-won't.

Al94 19:54 04 Feb 2005

Sorry Spudz but you are 100% wrong there. TPS is very much officially recognised and any UK organisation who calls anyone who has registered with TPS and the recipient of the call reports them to TPS will face a fine of several thousand pounds. This has to be tempered with some realism, when you register, it will be a few weeks but I would say 8 at the most before this will be effective as the updated lists are circulated to all organisations making outbound calls at the start of each calander month. The only calls that you may still receive are those that originate from outside UK.

I am involved with outbound call marketing campaigns and have to ensure that all outbound calls are TPS checked. From a personal perpsective, I registered a couple of years ago and have only received a couple of calls since whic were obviously noy UK based.

Al94 19:57 04 Feb 2005

Cara2 - once you have registered and see my note re the timescale after registration - NO ONE is allowed to make marketing calls to your numbers either business or personal unless you have given express written permission for them to do so. Feel free to report the companies to TPS. I think from memory it could cost them around £8K per call!!

Al94 19:58 04 Feb 2005

Cara2 - once you have registered and see my note re the timescale after registration - NO ONE is allowed to make marketing calls to your numbers either business or personal unless you have given express written permission for them to do so. Feel free to report the companies to TPS. I think from memory it could cost them around £8K per call!!

€dstowe 19:58 04 Feb 2005

I have been registered with the TPS for a long time and never received any cold calls. I recently moved house, re-registered with the TPS and now get two or so calls every evening.

I find it so irritating that I've taken to keeping a football whistle by the phone - I use it as well. Doesn't make any difference but it does give me a sense of satisfaction and it may help someone else getting a call because of the caller being temporarily deafened.

What I can never understand about this random sales technique is that if their potential client is alienated at the initial stages, how on earth do they expect to make any sales?

Al94 20:00 04 Feb 2005

sorry 'bout the double post and typos

RJay 20:06 04 Feb 2005

I registered with TPS some years ago to try and put a stop to incessant calls from a particular double glazing company and after a few weeks hve never received another unsolicited call

megat193 20:37 04 Feb 2005

I also registered some years ago. Once I received a call from a scottish firm which claimed that the TPS didn't apply as they were doing a 'market survey' not 'selling'. They obligingly gave me the name of the caller, her manager's name, the firm's full name and address etc. The Ombudsman disagreed with their claim, and they were fined £5000, apparently.
I still get the occasional call, but as soon as I say "TPS" they apologise and ring off. The Fax Preference Service is also a useful body to register with for businesses. The amount of fax toner wasted on printing out adverts for cheap replacement toner cartridges, weight loss tips, holidays, mobile phone deals etc is phenomenal.

Cara2 21:08 04 Feb 2005

Thanks for replies.

Apparently it will kick in around 28 days after registering. The scheme has been further refined in that if you were already on a data base they could still contact you - not so now. All companies, whether or not you were previously on their list, must now refer to the TPS list.

Al94, can you clarify my failure to 'tick the box' query? Can these third parties, to which I have been referred to, contact me?

Incidentally, as megat193 commented, the fax preference service had a dramatic effect on a business I know. It all but eliminated unwanted faxes. I think companies using this method are even less likely to breach the rules, as a hard copy exists to confirm they have sent unsolicited faxes.

Cara

Al94 21:23 04 Feb 2005

Cara, hard to be 100% sure without seeing exactly what you signed but it is unlikely that you gave express permission for other companies to call you. Not sure what to suggest, perhaps you could write to company "a" and withdraw any permission to market you by phone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?